Repairing Kontrol S2 Tempo slider

Default Repairing Kontrol S2 Tempo slider

Hi there,

So the originally I wanted to get a kontrol S4 but a kontrol S2 came up locally for $50 and I couldnt pass it up for the price, only problem with it being the right tempo slider doesnt work, seems to think it is stuck 3/4 of the way down all the time which is as you can probably tell, very annoying.

I have done a fair bit of reading and understand that taking these things apart are just short of being a nightmare but I'm wondering if there is anyone on here that has taken apart an S2 before and if so how hard would it be to replace the tempo slider.

Thanks in advance cool people

Tech Wizard

You could try spraying in some contact cleaner then some compressed air. Could just be very dirty. Worth a try before opening it up.
    midi fighter twister, denon sc2000, launchpad mini, behringer mm1, behringer dv1, NI audio 2, traktor pro 2, 2xNumark TTX1, Gemini PS02 usb

Quote Originally Posted by griffkpuk View Post
    You could try spraying in some contact cleaner then some compressed air. Could just be very dirty. Worth a try before opening it up.
    DO NOT USE COMPRESSED AIR! It can damage the fader contacts.

But aside from that, clean it with contact cleaner once. Move the fader back and forth then hit it with contact cleaner again.

If that doesn't fix it, then taking apart the S4 is a lot of screws, but not that hard of a process bruv. Sometimes you don't need to replace a fader, just something stuck in there or something simple.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Quote Originally Posted by the_bastet View Post
    DO NOT USE COMPRESSED AIR! It can damage the fader contacts.

But aside from that, clean it with contact cleaner once. Move the fader back and forth then hit it with contact cleaner again.

If that doesn't fix it, then taking apart the S4 is a lot of screws, but not that hard of a process bruv. Sometimes you don't need to replace a fader, just something stuck in there or something simple.
    yeah I was aware about the S4 being a pain but I was semi hoping the S2 would be a tad easier, though I have heard reports that taking it apart can potentially mulch it.

I transported the S2 over to my girlfriends house and when I started using it the fader now is jittering around the same area as reported, unlike before where it would for the most part hold the position. I assume this means that some contact cleaner could free it up but not too sure. was also told by the previous owner that he spilled water on it and that is what caused it to go stop working.

Might invest in some contact cleaner and hope that works, in the mean time I have remapped the tempo to one of the effects knobs and the tempo to a modifier that I'd never ever use and set it to override the factory map so it no long jumps around and adjusts the tempo constantly. It isn't ideal but meh, $50, worth it.

spend the ten bucks on contact cleaner before you open it up.
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Quote Originally Posted by axlevest View Post
    was also told by the previous owner that he spilled water on it and that is what caused it to go stop working.
    Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    spend the ten bucks on contact cleaner before you open it up.
    Not trying to piss on anybody's parade but contact cleaner can't repair corrosion on electronic parts caused by water, keep that in mind
    Chances are slim at best that it will do any good. Have you checked how much does a new pitch fader for S2 costs?
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Quote Originally Posted by SlayForMoney View Post
    Not trying to piss on anybody's parade but contact cleaner can't repair corrosion on electronic parts caused by water, keep that in mind
    Chances are slim at best that it will do any good. Have you checked how much does a new pitch fader for S2 costs?
    yeah i have actually, they are about $30 for the part, but I either need to do it myself or find someone to do it for me, hence trying to find out if it is worthwhile doing