EQ'ing a sub?

Thread: EQ'ing a sub?

Tech Wizard

Default EQ'ing a sub?

Hey guys,
    I've been around the block a bit when it comes to getting people dancing, but the actual intricacies of setting up a system so a sub matches the speakers eludes me.

I just picked up a set of K12's and an LS800p sub, everywhere i look online, they say the sub needs some EQ'ing. They need to be cut a little around 55HZ before DRPA, and high pass them at 92HZ on the DRPA.

What in the world are they talking about?

Tech Wizard

with most sub set ups, you run the signal through the subwoofer then into the tops.

if you are EQing the sub you will be changing the frequencies to which the sub plays, and the frequencies the tops play.

so the high pass at 92Hz means that the sub will play all the frequencies from about 30Hz (depending on the subs frequency response) up to the high pass (92Hz)

By Cutting, i presume that the subs frequency below 55Hz is potentially 'over powered'? anything below 60Hz is the chest thumping sub bass (can only be replicated that well with a sub woofer.) Therefore Lowering the response of the sub to these frequencies or 'Cutting' them will make the overall system sound better.

But this is very general information. You might love having the low end bass and playing in a large room so you need the depth to make the music sound great. So trial and error to find out what works the best for you!

All of the sub EQing is done on the dials on the back of the subwoofer (I think)

Edit: should have proof read

Tech Wizard

since i'm only running one sub, i was gonna come off the RCA master out on my mixer with both channels through an eq, and my speakers would come out of the XLR outputs. would there be any issues with this?

Tech Wizard

yes.

you will have disgusting over powered bass as the 12inch speakers will be producing lots of it, plus the sub. Kind of misses out the whole point of a sub...

Tech Wizard

it wouldn't work to use the gains on the back of my boxes and my EQ to fine tune the volume for them?

Tech Wizard

what is the point in doing that and creating more work for yourself?

there is minimal point dampening the low end EQ's of the Tops to then stick a sub in. Why? because by running it through the sub itself, it does it magically for you. Also you will probably start to lose the Bottom Mid range from the speakers as it doesn't have 4 Band EQ.

You are worried about not having enough bass..? you've just bought an 18inch, 1500w sub woofer. Unless you are in a massive room (in which case you will probably need more Tops to worry about rather than subs) then you will probably have to turn down the sub anyway.

Plus as soon as you change the direction of the speakers, the room, the amount of people, the decorations on the wall (if its a wedding or something (presuming your a mobile Dj)) you will have to adjust the EQ's of the speakers again.

you can do as you please, but i thought my first post was a rather comprehensive understanding of why you want to link your Subs and Tops together.

Tech Wizard

you were to the point in your first post, i was just wondering about other set up options so i wouldn't be affecting the sound going to the tops and only the sub.

I appreciate the info you've given, and i'm just trying to get a better understanding of the audio dynamics at play here, especially since we all know there's a lot more at play in this business than just picking the right song to play next.

Tech Wizard

I agree with that!

You can run it the way how you suggested, how ever this isn't how large clubs, small clubs, Mobile Dj's, Festivals etc run their sound systems.

Hope this helps