converting HID to Midi?

Default converting HID to Midi?

what software can you use for a mac? (HID to Midi) Can you convert regular typing keyboards into separate midi controllers? Such as plugging two extra type kybords into my comp making three total keyboards.
    (1 for typing, 2 for trigg etc.)

I use ableton and reason so i know that ableton can map to my keyboard but if i plug another one i dont think it will work.

any thoughts?

It's not that difficult to make a patch in pure data to do this sort of stuff. I did a mouse hack making it a stompbox some days ago using this method.

My current problem is that the mouse, keyboard ... also sends out the original commands (together with the midi messages from pd). So I start recording in live with one button, but if this was the right button originally I get the right-click thingie. Rather annoying. Would however be a cheap solution for stompboxes. These old mouses are easy to find and really easy to hack.

JunXion from STEIM could be a solution, but it's expensive. Also I didn't found out if they were able to discard the original commands of the device.

update: I just saw this:
    http://createdigitalmusic.com/2008/0...llers-updated/
    could also be something.
    Last edited by zerolmzero; 08-29-2008 at 09:12 AM. Reason: forgot to mention something

Cool, ive used a wii mote before with reason, i had to download wii instrument. That OSCulator, Magic Bullet looks awesome. I might have to go with that.

further questions-
    How does the conversion software interact instrumentally? I mean how does your mouse/etc show up in live's preferences? I know how to set up audio midi on my mac's pref for new devices, but i was wondering - if I make a custom controller, then how well will its midi driver, or whatever it uses, actually work with my software compared to say the m-audio O2. How do i define its parameters? midi messages etc.?

Also, i read that midi 2 compliant devices do not need a driver downloaded, they just work. My oxygen 8 older version is midi 1 so i have to install the driver. My O2 is midi 2 compliant so i just plug right in for the first time. So whats the difference in the midi hardware of each and does this have any relevance to HID conversion?

I guess my issue is that i do not understand the components of circuit boards in midi controllers and how they relate to operating software so that i may use them. I have a feeling that once i learn, i will build something awesome. I have needs bcuz im a lead singer that triggs loops, controls guitar fx and vocal fx from the frontline. It would be nice to make my own creation.

anyway thanks for the help.

When you're using a hid device like a joystick or keyboard the osculator app or junxion will probably work. I don't have any experience with them. Checking the options myself at the moment.

I'm experimenting the pure data way because when I get the basics working the possibilities are endless. Total custom control of combinations like double hits, triple hits, sending more midi messages with one controller signal ...

But when someone here has some experience with the mentioned apps please share the knowledge.

To answer some of your other questions. The conversion software outputs midi. The "device" itself will most likely not show up as a device in your live prefs. However the input and output channel which you assigned in the conversion software can be selected. After this you just do some midimapping.