Launching a club night?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Launching a club night?

Hi,

We have been able to get hold of a nightclub in Bournemouth for a night (Friday) to host our own event. They said we could have the venue to do as we please as long as they can get the money for entry and bar profits (which is fine).

So far we have a group of DJs together who all play Techno & UK bass house. I am a graphic designer myself so I will be designing the posters and leaflets and promoting the event.

Are there any dos and dont for launching an event and any pitfills you guys may have come across.

Any help would be great.

+ any djs in the area, it would be great if you could get involved

I would try to negotiate a % of bar sales. Something comfortable. At a smaller local spot we did in Chicago for a bit, we would take 20% of bar sales after they hit $1500. The party would run from 10pm - 2am, so it wasn't really hard to get enough people to hit $1500. It's worth a shot.

DO NOT do the same style of music every Friday if it is a weekly. Try to pull different crews together to have themed nights based around what they bring to the table. Put together a promo team. Being in the UK, reaching out to other areas should not be a challenge.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

How are you going to make money if they keep all the door & bar profit?
    Sell drugs?
    Pimp yo ass?
    SC | MC

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky H View Post
    How are you going to make money if they keep all the door & bar profit?
    Sell drugs?
    Pimp yo ass?
    Exactly. I would try to work out a deal where you get either of the 2. If it's no cover, then you should get something from bar sales. You're being pimped out by the owner right now.

edit/ You can make a password for anyone going to the party to say at the door, then for each head that uses the password you'll get for example $3.

If he has never thrown a night before, profit should not be a concern. This is the first spot to fill on his resume. If the night is successful, then move to negotiate an exchange.

Being part owner in a venue in the past taught me:
    If someone has no experience in hosting events, they need to prove themselves first
    Measure profitability vs. cost always
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Quote Originally Posted by the_bastet View Post
    DO NOT do the same style of music every Friday if it is a weekly. Try to pull different crews together to have themed nights based around what they bring to the table. Put together a promo team. Being in the UK, reaching out to other areas should not be a challenge.
    This is just odd to me. What if he wants to throw a techno night weekly/bi weekly? What's the issue here? Is he supposed to do techno the first week, and hip hop the second, and pop the third? What kind of following would you build being random like this? I can't make sense of it honestly.

If he has never thrown a night before, profit should not be a concern. This is the first spot to fill on his resume. If the night is successful, then move to negotiate an exchange.

Being part owner in a venue in the past taught me:
    If someone has no experience in hosting events, they need to prove themselves first
    Measure profitability vs. cost always
    I don't really follow this idea, sorry. If he picks a night where the venue has no party and hosts one.. What is the cost to the venue? They let someone else promote a party that's supposed to bring new people in, they don't have to do anything different then they normally would.

There should be some type of agreement where if the bar gets busier than it normally would that night, and does good behind the bar then of course you should get a kickback(like I mentioned earlier, 10-20 percent of bar sales if they hit a number that the owner is happy with).... I can see how that's a smart move on the venue's side since it will allow them to make even more if sales go up because of the party, but that's a terrible move by the promoter. The goal is to make money for everyone, but he won't get paid if he has a shit turn out since the bar never reached that % agreed upon.

I never understood the whole "do it for experience who cares about getting paid" argument... If the bar makes $1300 roughly every Wednesday night, and on his first night throwing the party they take in over $2000 there should be some type of pay going to the promoter(which can obviously be agreed upon before throwing the party).

Quote Originally Posted by Kwal View Post
    This is just odd to me. What if he wants to throw a techno night weekly/bi weekly? What's the issue here? Is he supposed to do techno the first week, and hip hop the second, and pop the third? What kind of following would you build being random like this? I can't make sense of it honestly.

I don't really follow this idea, sorry. If he picks a night where the venue has no party and hosts one.. What is the cost to the venue? They let someone else promote a party that's supposed to bring new people in, they don't have to do anything different then they normally would.

There should be some type of agreement where if the bar gets busier than it normally would that night, and does good behind the bar then of course you should get a kickback(like I mentioned earlier, 10-20 percent of bar sales if they hit a number that the owner is happy with).... I can see how that's a smart move on the venue's side since it will allow them to make even more if sales go up because of the party, but that's a terrible move by the promoter. The goal is to make money for everyone, but he won't get paid if he has a shit turn out since the bar never reached that % agreed upon.

I never understood the whole "do it for experience who cares about getting paid" argument... If the bar makes $1300 roughly every Wednesday night, and on his first night throwing the party they take in over $2000 there should be some type of pay going to the promoter(which can obviously be agreed upon before throwing the party).
    Doing the same theme every night will wear out the venue for those that attend for that specific theme. YOu dont have to be random.
    If you were re-doing the tile in your house on your own, would you pay someone who had absolutely no flooring experience to help you, or would you share a couple beers with your cousin?
    The venue is taking a risk bringing in any new talent. This is why you should not expect any contractual obligations on your first hosted gigs. What if the bar normally does $3,500 on a wednesday night, but only does $2,000 on the night of your event? WOuld you want to cover their loss?

There are two sides to every coin. On top of that, the venue is most likely providing sound, lighting, a place to have his artists showcased, etc. I am sorry, but if I was approached by a fresh promoter and they asked for margin sharing off the bat, I would write into the agreement a responsibility for lost revenue, responsibility of damages to sound, lighting, equipment, and furniture, etcetera.

You have to remember that the venue is offering itself for free to him.

Doing the same theme every night will wear out the venue for those that attend for that specific theme. YOu dont have to be random.
    If you were re-doing the tile in your house on your own, would you pay someone who had absolutely no flooring experience to help you, or would you share a couple beers with your cousin?
    The venue is taking a risk bringing in any new talent. This is why you should not expect any contractual obligations on your first hosted gigs. What if the bar normally does $3,500 on a wednesday night, but only does $2,000 on the night of your event? WOuld you want to cover their loss?

There are two sides to every coin. On top of that, the venue is most likely providing sound, lighting, a place to have his artists showcased, etc. I am sorry, but if I was approached by a fresh promoter and they asked for margin sharing off the bat, I would write into the agreement a responsibility for lost revenue, responsibility of damages to sound, lighting, equipment, and furniture, etcetera.

You have to remember that the venue is offering itself for free to him.
    I'm glad you put it like that..

There are some points there that I didn't take into account. I am actually considering starting a party of my own soon, so it's nice to get both sides of the story.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast