Next purchase?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next purchase?

Tech Wizard

Default Next purchase?

Alright, now I'm a fairly well set up mobile DJ. I have the enclosed trailer, two sets of speakers with subs, a set of NI Z1 & Z2 mixers, new Macbook pro, IPAD as a backup system (pairs with the Z1), a bunch of par style LED lighting, a laser, REVO 4, a haze machine, and a small truss system, wireless mic, Etc. Along with about a mile of misc. cables.

Now, my question is this, what should my next purchase be? More lighting? an X1 MK2? spend a bit more on advertising? or just start banking it?

As a side note, i do Pub nights once a month for the college up here, the very odd house party, and the rest is mostly weddings/stags.

why do you need more things??

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by calgarc View Post
    New York Times: "Why did you want to climb Mount Everest?"
    George Leigh Mallory: "Because it's there"

Things exist, therefore they must be bought.

Tech Wizard

ahaha i probably don't, but i want to keep expanding the business, and put on a better show each time i go out.

Quote Originally Posted by barstarsounds View Post
    Alright, now I'm a fairly well set up mobile DJ. I have the enclosed trailer, two sets of speakers with subs, a set of NI Z1 & Z2 mixers, new Macbook pro, IPAD as a backup system (pairs with the Z1), a bunch of par style LED lighting, a laser, REVO 4, a haze machine, and a small truss system, wireless mic, Etc. Along with about a mile of misc. cables.

Now, my question is this, what should my next purchase be? More lighting? an X1 MK2? spend a bit more on advertising? or just start banking it?

As a side note, i do Pub nights once a month for the college up here, the very odd house party, and the rest is mostly weddings/stags.
    In all seriousness, I am a similar position. It seems that you have the right kit for the gigs you have got so I would invest in advertising.
    More advertising, more gigs then more kit.

Tech Mentor

I would invest in a backup laptop. I wouldn't want to use an iPad as a backup for an event like a wedding. It's ok for the pub, but way too critical to mess up a wedding.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyRome View Post
    I would invest in a backup laptop. I wouldn't want to use an iPad as a backup for an event like a wedding. It's ok for the pub, but way too critical to mess up a wedding.
    On the contrary, having an iPad switched on and plugged in all the time is a great backup. If the laptop goes, instantly press play on iPad and have music going. This gives you some time to troubleshoot the laptop, and even if it is totally dead, I have enough music on my iPad to get me through a wedding easily.
    Mobile DJ. 2 x Denon SC2900, Denon MC-6000 MK2, Wharfedale Titan 15a Powered Speakers, Titan A15 Subs, HP laptop. Shed load of lights!! Maschine Mikro MK2, Xone:K2.

2nd Generation Mobile DJ
    2G on Twitter | 2G on Facebook
    | RobDQuick On Soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    New York Times: "Why did you want to climb Mount Everest?"
    George Leigh Mallory: "Because it's there"

Things exist, therefore they must be bought.
    invest the money in a saving account or a bag under your bed... when the time comes you can always get what you need

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TonyRome View Post
    I ran into problems using a laptop as a backup more in the fact that porting over playlists and music to another Traktor program was a much bigger hassle than it is with an ipad. It was accessing the music on my main macbook over my home network, so it worked fine when i tested it at home, but once i got to the event (had 2 on the same evening) it couldn't access it anymore. Thankfully it was just dinner, and i had the ipad as a backup with cocktail music till i could get the macbook running again.

and i run traktors ipad app for music, so it's not just the stock player that comes with it pumping out the tunes

IMO having an ipad is a much more viable option as a backup for what i do.

Quote Originally Posted by robdquick View Post
    On the contrary, having an iPad switched on and plugged in all the time is a great backup. If the laptop goes, instantly press play on iPad and have music going. This gives you some time to troubleshoot the laptop, and even if it is totally dead, I have enough music on my iPad to get me through a wedding easily.
    100% agree. I have Traktor DJ at my side with the a playlist of the bride and grooms requests plus a playlist I have created for them ready to go. Having a backup laptop would take to much space in my setup and would only act as a more complicated iPad, it's still not hooked up to my decks therefore an iPad is the better solution.

invest the money in a saving account or a bag under your bed... when the time comes you can always get what you need
    Ok Grandma

Quote Originally Posted by barstarsounds View Post
    I ran into problems using a laptop as a backup more in the fact that porting over playlists and music to another Traktor program was a much bigger hassle than it is with an ipad. It was accessing the music on my main macbook over my home network, so it worked fine when i tested it at home, but once i got to the event (had 2 on the same evening) it couldn't access it anymore. Thankfully it was just dinner, and i had the ipad as a backup with cocktail music till i could get the macbook running again.

and i run traktors ipad app for music, so it's not just the stock player that comes with it pumping out the tunes

IMO having an ipad is a much more viable option as a backup for what i do.
    I agree.

Karlos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast