Best Way to get feedback on Sets online
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Tech Convert
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Munich, Germany
    Posts
    14

    Default Best Way to get feedback on Sets online

    Hello DJ-Tech Tools community,

    I have been DJ-ing for a year now and this weekend had my first gig on a local Open Air. It was a lot of fun and motivated me to work even harder in the future.

    While i am using soundcloud to share my sets, I find it difficult to improve as much as I would like without any outside feedback (apart from my - biased - girlfriend;-)).

    I was wondering if there's a way (e.g. forums, message boards, communities etc.) to get some feedback on what I should work on, to get better and which part of my work is good and can be built upon?

    Given my live experience is so low, it's hard to find opportunities to play outside of my living room, so I would be very grateful for some ruthless thoughts on my work.

    I don't want to spam the DJ-Tech Tools Forum, so I am intentionally not adding my soundcloud-account, not being sure if this place here would be appropriate.

    Thank you very much for your thoughts,

    Boris

  2. #2
    Tech Guru Kwal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,066

    Default

    Post a mix in the proper section here and hope for the best. I can give it a listen if you'd like.

    To be fair, you aren't going to find some magical community where everyone listens to every mix with feedback in mind. It's hard to make people want to listen to a mix. You're much more likely to get feedback on a production.

  3. #3
    Tech Guru the_bastet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    2,750

    Default

    Get your friends in your car and drive somewhere an hour away and an hour back with the cd on repeat. Dont tell em it's your mix and let the honesty come out.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

  4. #4
    Tech Guru the_bastet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    2,750

    Default

    Also, pm me a link and Ill shoot ya some feedback bruv.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

  5. #5
    Tech Guru Kwal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,066

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the_bastet View Post
    Get your friends in your car and drive somewhere an hour away and an hour back with the cd on repeat. Dont tell em it's your mix and let the honesty come out.
    Haha

    A classic technique

  6. #6

    Default

    I'm in a similar position to you, Boris. I don't have any advice from experience, but here's how I intend to earn more plays and comments: listen to a bunch of sets on here and comment on the ones I particularly enjoy. The DJs who uploaded them will likely appreciate my feedback, and more importantly, people will learn what kind of taste I have. Knowing this, they will be more likely to check out any contributions I submit, and hopefully more people who share my tastes will feel encouraged to make more contributions.

  7. #7
    Tech Convert
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Munich, Germany
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kwal View Post
    Post a mix in the proper section here and hope for the best. I can give it a listen if you'd like.

    To be fair, you aren't going to find some magical community where everyone listens to every mix with feedback in mind. It's hard to make people want to listen to a mix. You're much more likely to get feedback on a production.
    Thank you very much.

    Given I've been - admittedly - lurking on Dj Tech Tools since I started, I will need to collect some credits first, before I do that.

    I will definitely do so and if possible, it would be great, if I could let you know, once I have it posted.

  8. #8
    Tech Convert
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Munich, Germany
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the_bastet View Post
    Get your friends in your car and drive somewhere an hour away and an hour back with the cd on repeat. Dont tell em it's your mix and let the honesty come out.
    Thank you very much!

    I live in a metropolitan area and don't have a car ;-)

    I get the general point, though.

    Thx!

  9. #9
    Tech Convert
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Munich, Germany
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lanz the joiner View Post
    I'm in a similar position to you, Boris. I don't have any advice from experience, but here's how I intend to earn more plays and comments: listen to a bunch of sets on here and comment on the ones I particularly enjoy. The DJs who uploaded them will likely appreciate my feedback, and more importantly, people will learn what kind of taste I have. Knowing this, they will be more likely to check out any contributions I submit, and hopefully more people who share my tastes will feel encouraged to make more contributions.
    Awesome tip, Lanz.

    Thanks, I appreciate it.

    I will then do the same.

  10. #10
    Tech Guru Kwal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,066

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lanz the joiner View Post
    I'm in a similar position to you, Boris. I don't have any advice from experience, but here's how I intend to earn more plays and comments: listen to a bunch of sets on here and comment on the ones I particularly enjoy. The DJs who uploaded them will likely appreciate my feedback, and more importantly, people will learn what kind of taste I have. Knowing this, they will be more likely to check out any contributions I submit, and hopefully more people who share my tastes will feel encouraged to make more contributions.
    That's a great way of going about it. Show support for others, and they very well may return the favor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •