sending dvs signal to daw ( ableton)
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default sending dvs signal to daw ( ableton)

hi guys , im trying to get a time coded signal to send from VDJ (or traktor.. or any dvs) to ableton (or reaper).

The idea is just to be able to lay down some scratch cuts on a separate track in ableton ( simple right? )

But i can t figure it out, been searching for a long ass time ( seen jack router, scratch track, ms pinky etc.. )... im getting lost with all the info, i just want something simple that ll work that i dont have to set up every single time i wanna record some simple cuts on a beat. (note i want eh cuts on a separate track to be able to edit the scratches independently from the beat later on, in production)

My set up: TTX usb, audio 4 dj, serato time codes, traktor time codes, (no mixer yet but its coming very soon, should i get a regular mixer or midi??). I own vdj, traktor, ableton and reaper.

Now with all that, is there a straight forward way to lay some cuts on a track using the time code vinyls?

Thanks !

You don't want the timecode signal routed into Live, you want the audio from your DJ software (VDJ/Traktor) routed to a channel in Live.

You're gonna need a pretty powerful machine to do it all in one, or 2 separate machines.

If you've got a Mac, it's soundflower to the rescue. If not, it's gonna be Jack.

I don't know too much about Jack...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    You don't want the timecode signal routed into Live, you want the audio from your DJ software (VDJ/Traktor) routed to a channel in Live.

You're gonna need a pretty powerful machine to do it all in one, or 2 separate machines.

If you've got a Mac, it's soundflower to the rescue. If not, it's gonna be Jack.

I don't know too much about Jack...
    Thanks for your reply. I tried playing with jack before and it was a pure nightmare. First of all i couldnt even get any of the softwares to appear with in jack. Nothing nada...

any other alternatives? Im on pc by the way.

thanks

Tech Wizard

Any body else with suggestions??

- Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by the_bastet View Post
    anything other than a 100$ plugin?

thanks for the suggestion though

Tech Wizard

You could download audio hijack pro (the demo should work). Set that up so it records from whatever your output source is, then import those into ableton and go from there.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack4 View Post
    You could download audio hijack pro (the demo should work). Set that up so it records from whatever your output source is, then import those into ableton and go from there.
    im on pc, any other suggestions?

thank you !

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by symbiosis View Post
    im on pc, any other suggestions?

thank you !
    First question. How are you actually going to be able to scratch without a crossfader?

But heres a method to record scratches using your current gear. Just off the top of my head so there may be a detail ive missed.

Plug in one turntable to Input A on Audio 4. . Set DJ software to output master on Output A.

Take a cable from output A, and plug it into input B.

Set input B as a recording source in Ableton.

Set output B as the master out in Ableton, and connect to your speakers.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by ImNoDJ View Post
    First question. How are you actually going to be able to scratch without a crossfader?

But heres a method to record scratches using your current gear. Just off the top of my head so there may be a detail ive missed.

Plug in one turntable to Input A on Audio 4. . Set DJ software to output master on Output A.

Take a cable from output A, and plug it into input B.

Set input B as a recording source in Ableton.

Set output B as the master out in Ableton, and connect to your speakers.
    Mixer is coming tomorow, i just wanted to get everything set up asap and get the technical problems out of the way already. ( or i could baby scratch forever?? kidding..)

Just to make it clear, when you refer to the input outputs, you refer to the ones on the audio 4 only? im having a bit of a hard time understanding your method. What is the purpose of going from output a to input b? Seems like an interesting technique though! will the technique stay the same once i get a mixer?

Ill try your suggestion as soon as i get home, thanks alot for your input, its much appreciated!, i ll report back!

cheers!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast