Program STEMS for DDJ SX2

Default Program STEMS for DDJ SX2

So...

I went out and bought a DDJ SX2. I was going to get an S8. But something about the SX2 just called to me, and I don't regret it one bit.

So... here's what I've been mulling over. STEMS. How would I go about mapping stems decks to the SX2. The Pio traktor mapping doesn't have anything programmed in the sampler mode, so I'm thinking this is the place to do it. HOWEVER. Where am I gonna put the upfaders. Effects knobs up top? Re-Map the EQs on decks 3 and 4 to be the faders?

What would you do?

I would use the fx knobs with a modifier to engage the functions when needed and when the track is a stem one.
    The Eq may be a solution but then you'll loose the functionality. However that may still makes sense. You can easily use the built in modifier that relates to the type of deck.

An good alternative would be to do exactly like it is on the s5, use the pads when in 'stem mode' (your modifier), press a pad corresponding to one of the stem (1to4) and use the fx knob. You'll need to accommodate for soft take over also on the knobs.
    Last edited by Yul; 09-12-2015 at 04:52 AM.
    Latest mix

There’s also an almost hermetic community that exists in many areas of dance music, where serious hobbyists feed off each other’s expertise but barely connect to the industry – despite many of those involved actually working in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yul View Post
    An good alternative would be to do exactly like it is on the s5, use the pads when in 'stem mode' (your modifier), press a pad corresponding to one of the stem (1to4) and use the fx knob. You'll need to accommodate for soft take over also on the knobs.
    Nice. I'm gonna take a look and see if I can do it that way. I AM noticing that the Pio .tsi file is insanely big and complicated. Hopefully I don't screw it up!

I'll report back...

Woof.

Getting through Pioneers .tsi file is a bit above my pay grade. The number of modifiers and toggle states and whatnot that I need to sort of reverse engineer is cra cra.

Anybody smarter than me taken a crack at it?

Tech Guru

i removed everything relating to the pads that weren't hot cues, so now i only have one part...not the original 4 or 5
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

That's probably smart. I can't even exactly figure out what the slicer pads are up to. Controlling effects in a way that I don't fully grasp. RTFM, I suppose.

Have you had success remapping the pads or do you leave them as is without all those other functionalities?

I'll see if I can take another look at it over the weekend. Maybe I can impress with girlfriend with my upper-intermediate MIDI

Tech Guru

the pads are set to change the selected effects, which bugged the shit out of me, so they had to go
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

Quote Originally Posted by djchriswoods.co.uk View Post
    the pads are set to change the selected effects, which bugged the shit out of me, so they had to go
    Ahhhhhh..... Yeah, that's annoying. It also bugs the shit out of me that the default effects banks on the top of the unit are 3 and 4, not 1 and 2. Do you know how to switch 'em?

Unhappy SX2 or S8???

Quote Originally Posted by djstayinschool View Post
    So...

I went out and bought a DDJ SX2. I was going to get an S8. But something about the SX2 just called to me, and I don't regret it one bit.

So... here's what I've been mulling over. STEMS. How would I go about mapping stems decks to the SX2. The Pio traktor mapping doesn't have anything programmed in the sampler mode, so I'm thinking this is the place to do it. HOWEVER. Where am I gonna put the upfaders. Effects knobs up top? Re-Map the EQs on decks 3 and 4 to be the faders?

What would you do?
    Hey buddy,

Just came across your post here. I too recently got an SX2 thinking that at the moment i won't be able to use it to its full potential. But now after watching all these videos on stems etc. I'm just re-considering my decision. The remix decks with the availability of stems looks nasty. What are your thoughts???

Thanks

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

To everyone looking in to controller/mapping for Stems (sub-mix) check out this one for the MF Twister: https://maps.djtechtools.com/mappings/4728