Hardware Setup for Analog Vinyl and Digital (DVS) plus FX

Default Hardware Setup for Analog Vinyl and Digital (DVS) plus FX

I've recently aquired a set of decks. Now I'm trying to figure out what hardware I would need for mixing analog and digital together.

Some things I would like to do in both analog and digital domains:
    Filter (HPF, LPF)
    Flange / Phase
    Reverb
    Loop a single channel (up to 30 seconds or 16 bars)

I'm planning on getting this stuff incrementally over the next few months. So far I know I need to get a mixer, dvs (likely serato) and an external fx module. However I'm not sure what will allow me to do everything I want. In addition I'm not sure if it would be possible to have lets say mixer and fx as one component.

Can you guys suggest some hardware that would be worth looking at?

Quote Originally Posted by ekg View Post
    I've recently aquired a set of decks. Now I'm trying to figure out what hardware I would need for mixing analog and digital together.

Some things I would like to do in both analog and digital domains:
    Filter (HPF, LPF)
    Flange / Phase
    Reverb
    Loop a single channel (up to 30 seconds or 16 bars)
    First question has to be; what is your budget? Once you know how much money you got to play with the suggestions can be more precise. Overall though it makes sense to start researching mixers coz methinks that's what you need next.
    Live rig: Denon Prime (5000M's)
    Retired: Denon x1700, Denon SC3900's, Traktor, Technics SL1200's, my vinyl
    Wish list: Some Roland Aira stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Stazbumpa View Post
    First question has to be; what is your budget? Once you know how much money you got to play with the suggestions can be more precise. Overall though it makes sense to start researching mixers coz methinks that's what you need next.
    My ideal budget for all of this would probably be around $3,000 definitely less than $4,000.

I'm seriously considering a Rane 62 as an all-in-one solution (about $2,500 - $3,000 to buy new) however I'm not 100% sure it would give me everything I want. Also it seems like it's better to have these components separate from each other.

For mixers I'd probably limit myself A&H and Pioneer unless there are other suggestions. DJM-600 seems to be a reputable mixer that I'm considering. I'd be OK spending $1,500 - $2,000 on a mixer.

I'm guessing you are going to be running your DVS on a laptop, but do you know which software you're going to run with? Which software you choose (I'm guessing you're thinking Serato) will help decide which mixer you want. Or indeed which controller, because you can run your decks into the phono inputs on a decent controller. The good thing about the controller is that it will come with all the buttons and knobs you need to control the software without needing to buy any extra bits.
    Your budget would cover an absolute top end, 4 channel controller (Pioneer, Numark and Denon make excellent kit) and probably a bloody good laptop to go with it. No pain in the arse leads everywhere, just the decks into the controller, usb that to your laptop and connect to your sound system, job done.

The only real issue I can think of with using a controller instead of mixer for a DVS/vinyl setup will be applying FX on the software to the channels playing vinyl because AFAIK no controllers have FX on them like mixers do. However, I do know that this is possible via the software in Traktor but I can't speak for Serato or any of the others because I don't use them. More research on that would be needed.

As for brands, for mixers I would look at Allen & Heath, Denon and Pioneer, all of which have some really good FX on the mixer itself. Some of them are midi mappable for controlling your DVS, although most people get an external controller (like the NI X1 for Traktor or Akai AFX for Serato) to browse tracks and use FX and leave the mixer for full on hardware control only (this is what I do).
    I personally would avoid the Rane 62 simply because is a huge amount of money for a 2 channel mixer, even though it's excellent. I've been using a 2 channel mixer since 2012 and I pretty quickly wished I had bought a 4 channel one instead. Again, your choice of mixer (or controller) depends on the DVS you want to use.

I hope my ramblings are of use to you.
    Live rig: Denon Prime (5000M's)
    Retired: Denon x1700, Denon SC3900's, Traktor, Technics SL1200's, my vinyl
    Wish list: Some Roland Aira stuff.

My only issue with getting a controller over mixer + FX is that the FX in a controller would always be in the digital domain. I would prefer it to be in the analog domain so that I'm not strictly tied to any computer / software.

What I would like to have is a setup similar to this:

input A: analog vinyl
    input B: digital audio controlled by DVS

A or B -> (Mixer -> FX) -> Master Out

I'm thinking it might be possible if the phono out of my decks go to an input of lets say a serato box then that would go into my mixer which then could use send/returns for FX.

So I did some more looking around. Seems like a mixer such as DJM-800 will do exactly what I want regarding FX.

It also has line in and phono inputs per channel. Is there any interface that I could use to duplicate my phono signal? That way I can have phono input be for analog records off my turntable and line in be the DVS coming from a serato or traktor box. I know that SL has a software thru but I would rather control that in hardware on my mixer which is why I want to split my turntables phono out into to.

Any thoughts?

I think you need a mixer with internal audio interface.
    If you want to use SeratoDJ, get one from the list (for some you will need to purchase SeratoDJ licence + Club Kit addon, others come with licence+DVS from the box)

If you want to use Traktor, get one from the list. For all of them you will need to purchase TSP licence + timecode pack.
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2