Chicago based Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Chicago based Question

Hey guys,

I just recently started putting on small events in Chicago, small bar parties and so on. I was recently researching about the legendary Frankie Knuckles and learned a lot about his start as well as the club "the warehouse". To my knowledge there is nothing in Chicago that is similar to what the warehouse used to be.

My question is does anyone know a place that I can, for now, rent out a warehouse space? I`m looking for some place around the west Loop or further north. Also if there is a good website that has a list of warehouses that are looking to be leased or bought out that would be a great help.

Thanks all, can't wait to hear what people have to say.

Your best bet is to get a real estate broker to find a location. 2 biggest things to consider... zoning and liquor license. Most new places in the west loop are restaurants that serve liquor. There was a shooting on Randolph a few weeks ago

http://abc7chicago.com/news/1-dead-1...t-loop/971919/

Police are trying to shut it down. The neighborhood organizations will be all over it. When you try to open a new liquor establishment, you have to go through zoning hearings with the neighbors within a certain distance. I am a Chicago based DJ, I live in the west loop, and I have already looked into this. Even The Mid has a ton of complaints against it and that place is big time... it's owned by React.
    Last edited by jimmyv; 09-21-2015 at 11:22 PM.

Tech Wizard

Thats all good to know. In your mind what would be a good area to set up a low key nightclub? I just moved to greek town from the suburbs and don't have a good understanding of the area.

I want a place thats low populated, even a warehouse district. For now it doesn't have to have a liquor license, thats something I will deal with later but I will definitely need to keep it in mind.
    Last edited by Nas525; 09-17-2015 at 11:53 PM.

You'll get shut down by the larger promo companies in Chicago who do warehouse parties

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyv View Post
    Your best bet is to get a real estate broker to find a location. 2 biggest rings to consider... zoning and liquor license. Most new places in the west loop are restaurants that serve liquor. There was a shooting on Randolph a few weeks ago

http://abc7chicago.com/news/1-dead-1...t-loop/971919/

Police are trying to shut it down. The neighborhood organizations will be all over it. When you try to open a new liquor establishment, you have to go through zoning hearings with the neighbors within a certain distance. I am a Chicago based DJ, I live in the west loop, and I have already looked into this. Even The Mid has a ton of complaints against it and that place is big time... it's owned by React.
    Guy I went to school with was the one killed

Quote Originally Posted by Nas525 View Post
    For now it doesn't have to have a liquor license, thats something I will deal with later but I will definitely need to keep it in mind.
    Ummm How are you going to make money?

Quote Originally Posted by Kwal View Post
    You'll get shut down by the larger promo companies in Chicago who do warehouse parties
    I have not been in the underground scene in years... Are there people still doing warehouse parties? Are these legit? How are they getting away with it? Every weekend? Same warehouse? I DJ'ed a few when I was in college, but it was the son of the warehouse owner.

I have not been in the underground scene in years... Are there people still doing warehouse parties? Are these legit? How are they getting away with it? Every weekend? Same warehouse? I DJ'ed a few when I was in college, but it was the son of the warehouse owner.
    Not entirely sure of the legalities of it but Paradigm is one worth looking into. They have tons of warehouse/all night type parties that are in unmentioned locations until the day of(ticket holders get emails with address)

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Kwal View Post
    Guy I went to school with was the one killed
    Sorry to hear that Kwal.

Tech Wizard

For now I just want to focus on getting a following at the place. It would be to much work to get a liquor license just to have the place close within 6 months or less depending on how well or bad it does.

Kwal, off the top of your head do you know how often these warehouse parties happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Nas525 View Post
    Kwal, off the top of your head do you know how often these warehouse parties happen?
    They have them quite often, and with very big artists at that... The last one I was able to play was off of Cermak around Halsted... Right in the industrial park on the 5th floor of a building with what I'm assuming were paid off cops patrolling the area hard. I was playing before Superflu.

They'll literally bring in the biggest known techno DJs you can imagine

edit/ Based on rumors, I hear they attempt to shut down anyone trying to run similar parties by contacting authorities. That's just a rumor though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast