[Bargain Alert]: AKG K-181DJ Headphones at Thomman

Default [Bargain Alert]: AKG K-181DJ Headphones at Thomman

http://www.thomann.de/de/akg_k_181_d...FUrpwgodyQ8DKQ

These are now just 79€! It's a old model (they were superceded by Tiesto model a year or two ago) but nonetheless offer a lot: 3500 mW input power (same as top models like HDJ-2000), removable mini-XLR cable, 50mm drivers, "bass boost" switch (useful for bassy booths), cups swivel for one ear monitoring and storage, not too heavy (280g) and most important: sound great

Cons are: plastic hinges (durable but still, don't overstretch) and they press tight on your head

(PS: cable and earpads fit on the HDJ-2000 so they make a great backup set of cans)

For guys (and girls) looking for on-ear models: K-518 are also on sale (44€)
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Tech Mentor

I've had a couple of pairs of these, a few years ago.
    They're really nice headphones, but the plastic hinges do give up eventually (like most headphones of this design).
    ...definitely worth investigating at this price though!
    Cheers

IAN WILLIAMS

Quote Originally Posted by thisisian View Post
    I've had a couple of pairs of these, a few years ago.
    They're really nice headphones, but the plastic hinges do give up eventually (like most headphones of this design).
    ...definitely worth investigating at this price though!
    I believe that most of those hinges are designed to be out of metal. Then on the later stage of design, some guy who's job it is to cut costs says "If we make these out of plastic, we'll make much more money".

I had a pair, they lasted about 7 months before they snapped - but I'm an idiot.
    SC | MC

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky H View Post
    I had a pair, they lasted about 7 months before they snapped - but I'm an idiot.
    I had mine for about 2y before a member of my family sat on them. He's an idiot.

Recently purchased used ones for a not much lower price than this bargain (although, I got a coiled cable with them so now I've got 2 cables, second pair of ear pads and basically a replacement for every part except hinges because they are cracked on the first cans).

Quote Originally Posted by SlayForMoney View Post
    I believe that most of those hinges are designed to be out of metal. Then on the later stage of design, some guy who's job it is to cut costs says "If we make these out of plastic, we'll make much more money".
    These fuckers will never learn...

AKG K-181-DJ UE - Ultimate Edition
    http://www.thomann.de/gb/akg_k_181_dj_ue.htm
    That's why they are discounted, AKG released a "new" model this year. They painted them black (damn, that looks good) and replaced the straight cable with a coiled one. Price is ok but if they had put metal hinges and maaaybe suplied them with a hardcase they would have a winner.