dipping the traktor crossfader
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default dipping the traktor crossfader

Long time reader, first time poster!

I'm working with Traktor Scratch Pro 2.71, and i'm using a Serato MC2000 as a midi controller.

I do a lot of chopped and screwed music, which involves using the crossfader to quickly move between decks. I also like to scratch, so i have my crossfader set very sharp. Since i'm doing a lot of chops, i keep my deck volume at 100%, and use the crossfader for all my mixing.

The problem
    Traktor doesn't have a dipped crossfader, so when i'm moving it back and forth there are times when both decks are at 100%, and then you get a unpleasant increase in volume. I've seen a bunch of posts where people complain about this issue, but i haven't seen any solutions.

Ideally, NI would provide a dipped crossfader as an option. But in the meantime, i'm looking at this as a controller mapping issue.

Here's the idea
    I want to set up a mapping between values of the crossfader and deck volume. When the crossfader is anywhere except the very edge, then set the deck volume to 50%. So the decks can play at 100% when the crossfader is at the very left or right, but move to 50% when its anywhere in the middle. That way, the volume stays constant.

I'm not a mapping whiz, so i'm hoping someone here can give me some tips.

Things i don't want to do
    - use an external mixer (don't have one )
    - simultaneously adjust deck volume (these are chops, they're too quick to deal with 3 faders)

If this can be done, i'm sure someone here can help me out!
    Last edited by nconaway; 10-08-2015 at 12:38 PM.

50% just won't work bruv. Due to how sound works. That boost in volume is due to matching frequencies overlapping. Soundclash happens when these frequencies overlap near peaks and low then ride slgihtly next to each other. Each track will have a different waveform, mastered at different gain, and have a different eq range. Do you not have a controller for the software mixer?
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Convert

thanks for the response,

I think you are misunderstanding chopped and screwed music. Its not as if i have two songs playing in different decks, and i'm mixing one into the other. Instead, i have the same track playing in Decks A and B at the same time. The track in Deck B is a 1/4 note ahead of A, and the chops occur when i use the crossfader to quickly move from A, to B, then back to A. There is actually a desirable effect that, while i move the crossfader, both tracks play at equal volume for about an 1/8 note (it sounds a little like 1/4 note delay).

I'm fairly certain that this issue is not sourced from the nature of chopping and screwing music, as many other people have reported the same problem. I'm just wondering if anyone can give me some tips on how to set up the mapping i specified.

ah. I get what you are saying now bruv. It should be possible with modifiers. I wont have the extra time to play with it until next week, but Stewe might be able to chime in.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Hey Guys,

Think I got it with a bit help from 3rd party app called loopMIDI. I made a quick vid to show you result.

@nconaway - can you please attach your mapping to your reply? Just want to make sure which midi CC is your crossfader assignment so I can remap it. Currently have mapped it to my MM1.

Tech Convert

Thanks for the quick responses everyone!

@Stewe, that video looks perfect. Is it enough to know that my crossfader is at Ch01.CC.022? My midi mapping is currently consists of some mappings i cherrypicked from the Traktor mapping provided by Serato, and a bunch of weird custom mappings. I'm having trouble getting the two .tsi files posted on here.

What is the other TSI that you have trouble to upload? This one covers effects and some basic transport and mixer... It would be helpful to take a look in that so I can get a full picture. I also have to know is it PC or Mac because there is difference in MIDI drivers.

Can you try to export a whole mapping by clicking the big Export button located at the bottom of preferences and attach it in a new post? That should work.

Tech Convert

The other .tsi contains mappings that i cherrypicked from the file Serato put out awhile ago. I've been banging my head up against this forum's uploading interface and it turns out that i have run out of space. Not to be shady about it, but here's a dropbox link to a .tsi file that contains my custom mappings as well as the serato ones.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pom1ealt59...pings.tsi?dl=0

Also, i'm using a Mac.

OK since you're using Mac all you would need to do is enable the IAC MIDI Driver. You can find instructions here.

Next thing is Import the mapping file to Traktor, use Big IMPORT button: dipped_crossfader.zip

Once the mapping is installed check first device named "Custom Mixer". Only for this device make sure that In-Port is set to "ALL PORTS" and that Out-Port is set to "IAC Driver". Other devices should be set to MC.

Let me know if this works as expected!

Tech Convert

@Stewe, thanks for your time on this! It works beautifully.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast