New DJ: Traktor or Pioneer?

Default New DJ: Traktor or Pioneer?

Hello Everyone,

I am just starting out in the DJ scene and have a starter question to get me on my path. I mainly listen to EDM and plan to mix EDM just for fun, however I want to be able to learn the fundamentals of DJing so I can use other equipment in the future without having to relearn a completely new system. For the past couple of weeks I've been messing around with the Traktor Pro software and I really like it! The sync seems on point and the sample/remix decks are real nice and easy to use.

I wanted to take the next step and get a controller so I went ahead and bought a Traktor S8. Shortly after my purchase I am pondering if I made a mistake with going with Traktor and not more standardized controller from Pioneer to make the transfer to more advanced equipment easier. What I liked about the Traktor S8 was the STEMS feature to split up the Vocals on EDM tracks (Although after reading it looks to be just marketing thing and I am not sure if STEMS will take off with big artists releasing their tracks in STEMS format) and also the High res display so I can keep my eyes more on the controller then the computer running Traktor Pro. Of course their are are other features however I am wondering if I should return the Traktor S8 and go with a Pioneer controller like the DDJ-RX with the new Rekordbox DJ 4.0 software.

What are your thoughts? For EDM, is it best to stick with the Traktor S8 since beatgriding and Sync should eliminate the need for jog wheels or should I go with a Pioneer DDJ-RX and Rekordbox 4.0 to gain the standardized layout that most DJ's use.

I don't want to just do simple beatchmatching and transitions from one song to another, i'd like to eventually mix acapella's with songs as well as mash songs together.

Here is the info on the Rekordbox 4.0 if you haven't seen it.

http://djtechtools.com/2015/09/10/pi...z-controllers/

DDJ-RX
    http://www.idjnow.com/pioneer-ddj-r....SBtxoCnsPw_wcB

Traktor S8
    http://www.native-instruments.com/en...or-kontrol-s8/

Appreciate the help

It really is just preference bruv. If you are looking to go into a more of live remix/performance type of workflow, then the S8 is the way to go. If you are looking to do some barebones Deejaying, then go with Pioneer. I would, however, wait until the xdj700 comes out, buy two with a 4 channel mixer or purchase something like the ddj sx2. The rx is nice, but you are eventually gonna need to expand onto the third and fourth deck for things such as acapellas.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

I think the biggest feature on the DDJ-RX that I don't see on the Kontrol S8 is the Sequencer feature, does anyone know if Traktor and the S8 has a similar feature?

The Pad FX and the Parameter buttons seem like a nice feature that I don't see on the Kontrol S8.

I downloaded the trial of Rekordbox DJ 4 and it seems pretty decent, I still think Traktor has more features in the software but unfortunately don't see the key mappings on the S8 similar to those on the DDJ-RX.

Quote Originally Posted by the_bastet View Post
    It really is just preference bruv. If you are looking to go into a more of live remix/performance type of workflow, then the S8 is the way to go. If you are looking to do some barebones Deejaying, then go with Pioneer. I would, however, wait until the xdj700 comes out, buy two with a 4 channel mixer or purchase something like the ddj sx2. The rx is nice, but you are eventually gonna need to expand onto the third and fourth deck for things such as acapellas.
    I think you can have 4 decks with the rekordbox 4, correct me if i'm wrong.

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SDDJ619 View Post
    I think the biggest feature on the DDJ-RX that I don't see on the Kontrol S8 is the Sequencer feature, does anyone know if Traktor and the S8 has a similar feature?
    Recordbox sequencer is basically what a Loop Recorder does in Traktor.

Quote Originally Posted by SDDJ619 View Post
    I think you can have 4 decks with the rekordbox 4, correct me if i'm wrong.
    You can, but the rx only has a two channel mixer.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6