Platter Momentum Issue with Traktor Scratch Pro 2 and SCS3.DJ System
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Platter Momentum Issue with Traktor Scratch Pro 2 and SCS3.DJ System

Hey Everyone!!

I'm having an issue in Traktor where my platter has no inertia when I attempt to spin it on the scs3.dj controller.
    If I drag the waveform with my mouse in Traktor, I can push with some momentum and it will spin freely, but when I attempt to do the same with the deck on the controller, the waveform looses all momentum the minute my hand leaves the deck.

Please help.. I want to do backspins, etc.. but my controller makes the platter feel like its 1000 lbs

Tech Convert

this is what I want - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r4UU2B8cfo#t=1m40s

I have the exact same hardware but it behaves very differently.

Tech Guru

Technically speaking, there is no "inertia" on the SCS.3d because it's a touch controller. That said, you should still be able to accomplish those kinds of techniques on it.

First thing you need to do is go into your CONTROLLER MANAGER and pull up the TSI for your device. Look for the SCRATCH message and click on it (there will be more than one, pick the first one for now). Near the bottom of the SCRATCH message settings, there will be 2 sliders for ROTARY SENSITIVITY and ROTARY ACCELERATION. You need to set these to your taste. I suggest leaving the sensitivity where it is for now and increasing the acceleration until you get the performance you're looking for. Once you've found the settings you like, apply them to all 4 of the SCRATCH messages in your TSI.

The other thing you need to do is to learn how to take advantage of the multitouch capabilities of the SCS.3 controller. Watch this video to see what I am talking about...

https://youtu.be/TvYTVZgEW4s?t=190

(starts at 3:10)

Tech Convert

Thanks! Yes I've seen that video and learned a lot about the different zones in each mode.. I plan on watching a few more times once i get the deck to respond the way I need it to..

I tried to post another reply to this thread, but im new, and none of my posts will show until they're manually approved. Here's the vid I attempted to post to illustrate the behavior I'm talking about. Same hardware.. but when he lets his hand off the touch sensor, the track keeps spinning. When I lift my hand, the track stops immediatly.

I was playing with rotary sensitivity and rotary acceleration in the scratch control settings, but it just seemed to speed up my platter movements significantly, while still stopping dead once I lift my hand.

I'll try again

Tech Guru

I'll keep an eye on the thread, so if you still have trouble I'll be here to try and help.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by nem0nic View Post
    I'll keep an eye on the thread, so if you still have trouble I'll be here to try and help.
    Thanks! I did as you suggested and adjusted both sensitivity and acceleration on all scratch items and now it moves lightning fast when i move the platter, but still cant "push" the record.. audio stops dead as soon as my hand lifts off the touch sensor.. very frustrating

Tech Guru

What TSI are you using, and are you running the DaRouter software with it?

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by nem0nic View Post
    What TSI are you using, and are you running the DaRouter software with it?

I'm using DaRouter with TPRO2.5 SCS.3 SYSTEM 4 TRACK DECKS [A-B-C-D]:

I keep the SCS3 system plugged into ac power as well, and I keep DaRouter minimized while Traktor is running.
    DaRouter seems to be functioning properly and is responding to my input.

I'm using the TSI for SCS3 System from the Traktor2 Scratch Pro menu:

Here's what I get when I try to 'spin' the platter:

Thank again for your help with this nem0nic..
    Your dedication to the SCS system is very comforting to those stuggling with the device.

Your input is greatly appreciated.
    Let me know if you can think of anything that might help.

Tech Guru

Glad to help, man. I'm sorry you're having trouble, but I know no one is maintaining compatibility for the SCS controllers anymore.

It's unfortunate that my SCS.3 set is in storage right now, but I suspect that one of the changes to the Traktor MIDI commands might be the root of this behavior. We didn't do anything in the MT preset to create artificial platter ballistics, it was all on the Traktor end. I'm betting that we need to get rid of the SCRATCH messages and replace them with JOG TURN messages, then remap the scratch functionality by creating a modifier. Let me see if I can find someone to verify this for me.

Tech Convert

Above and beyond as per usual!!! Won't hold you to it, but any info you come across will be greatly appreciated.

Part of me understands that the time will come for me to move on as support for this device fades, but it'll always have a place in my arsenal. It has such potential, even just as a midi trigger device. Being able to jump to a cue point by just gently touching the touchpad is a feeling like no other.. i don't miss hard buttons for triggering cues.

As always, thanks a million for your help with this nem0nic! I owe you a drink, or two!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast