Why does my CPU load increase as studio session time increases? Please help!
    Tech Wizard

Default Why does my CPU load increase as studio session time increases? Please help!

Set up: 2009 Macbook Pro, Ableton Live 9 Suite, 8gb ram, 750gb fast (I can't remember the exact speed) hard drive with 80gb available

As the title says, my CPU load (according the the CPU load meter and the crackles/pops/audio drop outs that occur) increases the longer I am working on a project. This is with all other apps closed. Projects seem to run fine every time when I open them. They can easily play all the way through perfectly. However, sometimes after say, 30-60 minutes I start to get problems. The same sections that were running at 15-20% CPU will be hitting upwards of 60-75% or higher which will cause serious audio issues or sometimes completely kill the audio on the entire project, causing me to save and restart Live. This will occur in more heavily processed/midi sections usually. Which I understand take more CPU, but why are these problems getting worse as the time spent working on the project increases? Is there something I'm missing?

I have noticed that these problems occur when my computer is hot. I have the computer's fan set to run at full speed and even have a fan on my desk hitting the computer to cool it even more.

I have tried multiple things suggested by Abelton that should reduce CPU (closing apps/freezing tracks/turning off wifi, etc) and still seem to have this problem constantly.

I am currently in the market for a SSD which I am hoping eliminates this problem while obviously increasing the speed of the machine.

Any other ideas on why this occurs or other CPU saving tricks I might have missed would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Laptop detects heat build-up, shuts down CPU core to lower the temperature = you get high CPU load = crackling in audio etc.

SSD will help with the problem (much less heat generated by the HDD) but I don't think it will cure it. Get the laptop serviced (replacing thermal paste on the CPU, dust cleaning), it will make a bigger difference.
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Check your Ram Usage.

I've found that Ram does not get released properly by some applications over a long period of time or shorter period with Memory Intensive tasks which will cause major slowdowns especially with audio applications.

To fix the issue I run "Memory Clean" (free) which automatically flushes the ram and disk caches once a certain threshold has been reached.

An SSD will help somewhat as Caches and Virtual Memory will be stored on a faster drive.

Cool balls on eBay are £2 with free delivery.

Cheapest, most effective performance upgrade available!

Tech Wizard

Fwiw, I work on macbooks all the time. If you are good with a screwdriver take the case bottom off, clean the fan blades with a small soft paint brush, and blow thru a soda straw like an air gun into the fan. Watch for the dust bunnies => . You can also blow backward thru the heat fins on the fan.

A lot of the time there is a dust buildup in the fan and heatsink fins. If you are masochistic you should also redo the heatsink paste and reseat the heatsink.

...and then again, you could take it to a competent tech and get it serviced - my shop is in Hemet, CA =>

DON'T take it to Best Buy (butchers)...