CDJ2000 (Mk1) vs CDJ900 (Nexus)

Default CDJ2000 (Mk1) vs CDJ900 (Nexus)

Hi DJtechtools

Apologies if this thread may have been better placed.

I'm looking for opinions! I'm in the process of selling my CDJ-850's and cant decide between a pair of either :

CDJ-2000's (Mk1 2010) *or*
    CDJ-900 Nexus (Mk2 2014)

There both about the same price

Whats important for me is having an accurate representation of a club set up, at home. The 850s did a great job at this but I cant fully master the 'feel' or the interface (sorting etc) without the upgrade.

I like the look of the 900NXS, but dont want to spoil myself with the zoomed in wave form display / beat divide / traffic light system when these features wont be there if playing out on MK1 2000s

The Mk1 2000s are still pretty much the industry standard and seem like an obvious choice given my argument, but im aprehensive about buying units which may be towards the end of their lives and are probably going to depreciate in value pretty quickly.

Any comments / opinions from owners/ users of both would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Michael

Personally i become upset when i buy something and shortly after i see how much cheaper I could have got it for (i.e this galaxy note 4 i recently purchased)

I only recently hopped on the pioneer bandwagon as well, but i feel like they keep the same essential equipment. and just add slightly different features. Personally i try not to make my DJ'ing too dependent on nuances that can change from Deck-to-Deck,That way when asked to do a set on something i have never seen before, i can easily get the hang of it. To do this, i keep a midi controller with me that has all my effects and features mapped where i know they will be, regardless of the decks i have to spin on.

So that considered, i would just get the newer decks. Because if they have more features, youll be limited in what you can do at a venue that doesnt have them, yes. But at the very least you wont be behind the times and stuck with decks that are outdated, wishing you had more features.

But again, id consider adding just a controller to your setup for exactly that.

Or, if you use serato just get the DDJ - SZ which is like top of the line controller and IMO all major clubs should use that as their centerpiece, and have whatever decks on the side, that way they can appeal to more dj's with varying setups.

But now im really talking out of my butt. Just food for though haha
    Simplicity is Beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Eff View Post
    Personally i become upset when i buy something and shortly after i see how much cheaper I could have got it for (i.e this galaxy note 4 i recently purchased)

I only recently hopped on the pioneer bandwagon as well, but i feel like they keep the same essential equipment. and just add slightly different features. Personally i try not to make my DJ'ing too dependent on nuances that can change from Deck-to-Deck,That way when asked to do a set on something i have never seen before, i can easily get the hang of it. To do this, i keep a midi controller with me that has all my effects and features mapped where i know they will be, regardless of the decks i have to spin on.

So that considered, i would just get the newer decks. Because if they have more features, youll be limited in what you can do at a venue that doesnt have them, yes. But at the very least you wont be behind the times and stuck with decks that are outdated, wishing you had more features.

But again, id consider adding just a controller to your setup for exactly that.

Or, if you use serato just get the DDJ - SZ which is like top of the line controller and IMO all major clubs should use that as their centerpiece, and have whatever decks on the side, that way they can appeal to more dj's with varying setups.
    I actually used Traktor timecode CDs and an X1 for years for this exact reason, so I could rock up to any club and play a set unihibited by their choice of decks. However, more and more I'd find myself turning up to venues to find a full nexus set up, and I got sick of the stress of setting up an audio interface live just to use their shiny £4,000 set up as a giant midi controller, so about 2 years ago I bought myself a pair of new(ish) CDJS and made the switch to Rekordbox. To be honest, I dont miss Traktor. Its sometimes a pain not having access to my full library on the fly, but its kind of liberating not being tied to a laptop anymore.

I like your point about buying the latest tech, however since the 900NXS arn't flagship I'm betting they'll end up depreciating at about the same rate as the 2000MK1s. At least i'll be left with all the latest features at the end of it though, and I guess I can choose to ignore them until the 2K Nexus players become the norm!

Tech Guru

I have one of each. I really prefer the CDJ900 NXS just because I can quickly find new mix in points if I miss one with the zoomed waveform.

I don't really use hot cues nor do I care for the different brake/start function.

I also prefer the click 0% tempo on the CDJ900 NXS.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

I've extensively used both. I would agree with SlvrDragon50 here.

Go with the CDJ-900 Nexus. They are /basically/ the same as the CDJ-2000 Nexus, with some additional looping features instead of the hot-cues. I actually prefer to spin on the 900-nexus over CDJ-2000 nexus because of those looping features (and at their price-point they are becoming more common lately - especially since I have some friends whom have invested into the CDJ-900 Nexus).

I find them to be more responsive than the original CDJ-2000's and the layout for the track searching is a bit cleaner.

I'm also partial to the waveform display - but it's not a necessity. Coming from Serato it's something I have come to enjoy though and I find it helps with my timing of things - but that for good or ill I still do use some visual feedback.

Moral of the story is: Buy the CDJ-900 Nexus if given a choice between those and the original CDJ-2000's. If you're looking to purchase new also give the XDJ-1000's a good thought and see if they might fit your needs better. For reference the sound and event production company I co-founded with a friend - we went with the CDJ-900 Nexus over all the other options. If you need 2000 Nexus's (which would be on most modern riders anyhow) you can rent them, most local DJs are more than happy to play on CDJ-900 Nexus, and there are still a few folks who play with CDs so it's always a good option to have that still be a part of the setup.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    I have one of each. I really prefer the CDJ900 NXS
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassline Brine View Post
    Go with the CDJ-900 Nexus.

Cheers for both your comments. Ended up buying a pair of 900NXS players. Also an interesting point you raised about rental value. I have rented kit out in the past and was actually considering 2000NXS units for this reason, hopefully the 900NXS's will be enough to convince clubs to rent from me instead of a company supplying 2000NXS's (when theres no headliner booked that is), so thats an added plus too.

First impressions were great, having played on 2000/2000NXS players regularly for the past few years the 900NXS's felt almost identical. I dont use hot cues, and I dont really care about strip searching or flashy lights, so at the reduced price point these players are ideal. Also the LCD screen really took me by suprise, absolutely crystal clear, even seems higher resolution than the 2000NXS screen - however I could be wrong!

Now im just waiting for the moment Pioneer launches the XDJ-2000 with full size tilted screen & physical buttons, illuminated jog/play/cue buttons, hot cues & looping features at £999 per unit and immediately devalues my recent purchase...

Cheers again for your feedback,