El Capitan and the Midi Fighters

Exclamation El Capitan and the Midi Fighters

I use a MF3D and a MF Twister with Ableton. The MF3D uses Padi's Ableton Launcher Midi Map, and the MF Twister is just Midi Mapped within Ableton.

Ever since I upgraded to OSX El Capitan I'm getting frequent, random reboots on both controllers which causes the settings on the controller to be different from within Ableton. Regardless of Takeover Mode in Ableton this makes the controllers practically unusable having to scale values multiple times. Reverting back to Yosemite makes all problems go away.

The problem is obviously El Capitan and I know both controllers are class compliant but will there by a firmware fix to address this? Other midi device manufacturers are updating their drivers (Novation, etc). Is it something that just has to wait until Apple fixes something on their end of the software or will DJTT resolve this?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

I don't think apple will solve this but that manufactures will have to adapt, El Capitan is one big clusterf*ck audiowise, to anyone reading this: Do not upgrade unless you absolutely must.
    MF Pro & Spectra | Kontrol S4 MKI | 2x Kontrol S1 MKI | MC-1000 | Generic MKI

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by DJDoubleYou View Post
    I don't think apple will solve this but that manufactures will have to adapt, El Capitan is one big clusterf*ck audiowise, to anyone reading this: Do not upgrade unless you absolutely must.
    They quickly solved the NI problems... it may take longer to fix issues for smaller companies but if bugs are reported they should be looked at.

I've not had any issues with the latest version and i'm using Traktor, Logic and lots of AUs.... I haven't tried my Midi Fighter though.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

We didn't encounter any compatibility issues during with the betas or release versions of El Capitan and it's the reason why we haven't pushed any updates to the MF Utility. Like you said, MF use class compliant drivers and we haven't had any need to write drivers for OS X since we took that approach.

There are quite a few customers using theirs under 10.11 with no issues so this might be specific to your setup. We'll get back to you via your support ticket you opened and help get everything working smoothly.

Thumbs up

I had 2 gigs over the past weekend so I didnt have time to really play around with what was causing the issue, I just reinstalled Yosemite so I could get past my issues.

After writing this post, I reinstalled El Capitan and as of yet have not been able to reproduce the reboots. I did do several different things since last week which might have remedied my reboots.

1. Googling Midi problems in El Capitan recommended setting up a New Configuration in the Midi Studio of the Audio/Midi Setup Utility.

2. I upgraded Ableton to 9.5

3. I changed the USB hub I was using to a better quality hub with a Premium 12V/5A AC power adapter. Certainly never enough USB ports on a Macbook Pro.

4. Not positive of this one but I might have been on OSX 10.11 when it was having problems. Currently on 10.11.1

I'll keep this thread updated if I encounter any problems again, thank you.