Hey vinyl and electronica lovers, check out this record collection I just picked up! - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Exactly, that's the main point and reason people love vinyl. That and the feel, the artwork, the tactile differences of each record, its history. After ripping new vinyl to .wav I just like listening to it for that warmth and the clicks, wow, and flutter all add character.
    Yeah, and the smell...

Personally I prefer the digital sound. But it has not the record scent.

This guy loved the old book smell he did a perfume

http://www.cbihateperfume.com/in-the-library.html

Quote Originally Posted by pier View Post
    Yeah, and the smell...

Personally I prefer the digital sound. But it has not the record scent.

This guy loved the old book smell he did a perfume

http://www.cbihateperfume.com/in-the-library.html
    Vinyl cologne would be sexy

Tech Wizard

seeing Dooms Night has triggered happy (and hazy) memories of Sunday afternoons spent on the terrace in Space...happy days. Good find, you've done well.

I've just purchased the TP Scratch upgrade kit to go with my Xone 4D because I missed the vinyl element too much. Haven't used it yet (kit is in transit now to NZ) but really looking forward to it. Will report back (when I get my hands on it again in about 3 months!!)

Quote Originally Posted by daveq View Post
    seeing Dooms Night has triggered happy (and hazy) memories of Sunday afternoons spent on the terrace in Space...happy days. Good find, you've done well.

I've just purchased the TP Scratch upgrade kit to go with my Xone 4D because I missed the vinyl element too much. Haven't used it yet (kit is in transit now to NZ) but really looking forward to it. Will report back (when I get my hands on it again in about 3 months!!)

Yeah it's the way to go, I'm still waiting to buy anew TT pair, i'm turntableless for the first time in a year as of yesterday (ok, I've also been through 20 technics during the past three months, hopefully I'll find a pair today or tomorrow for agood price). Also timecode has never been so good without the spiderweb of multicores and audio 8 mess. Gotta love just plugging the TTs into the 4D.

Oh and no one asked or guessed how much I paid for all of that vinyl, take a guess...

Tech Convert

Very nice find! Hmm. Can't guess how much that might have cost though, but you're hinting that it was a steal. Two hundred?

I know I've been lucky enough over the last 5 years to have inherited a couple of crates of vinyl for next-to-nothing - The owners just wanted to make sure they ended up in a good home. As a result, I have about six crates of records that have been condensed into one in the living room now.

It's a bit strange that people are starting to DJ now without starting on decks (CD decks or Tech12s). Our crew is mentoring someone right now who has bypassed decks altogether and is heading straight to Traktor and a VCI. Yes, on occasion I still miss records.

I do *not* miss hauling a crate of records to a show, especially outdoor events. Laptop crashes suck, but try having a hard-to-find record melt on the platter right in front of you.

Cheers
    - Jones
    Evan Jones
    Soundproof / Area709 / Beheshto
    www.soundproof.ca
    www.area709.com/evan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Jones View Post
    Very nice find! Hmm. Can't guess how much that might have cost though, but you're hinting that it was a steal. Two hundred?

I know I've been lucky enough over the last 5 years to have inherited a couple of crates of vinyl for next-to-nothing - The owners just wanted to make sure they ended up in a good home. As a result, I have about six crates of records that have been condensed into one in the living room now.

It's a bit strange that people are starting to DJ now without starting on decks (CD decks or Tech12s). Our crew is mentoring someone right now who has bypassed decks altogether and is heading straight to Traktor and a VCI. Yes, on occasion I still miss records.

I do *not* miss hauling a crate of records to a show, especially outdoor events. Laptop crashes suck, but try having a hard-to-find record melt on the platter right in front of you.

Cheers
    - Jones
    Head on, $200 for 175 bomb ass records. To buy these new it must have cost around $3000 looking at the price labels. Lots of $20 and $30+ records.

Yeah I don't think it's good for beginners to go straight to midi controllers with sync. Everyone should learn on decks with vinyl, even CDJs are a stretch but at least you learn to beatmatch and train your ears with them. I do not think beatmatching itself is important now days and embrace sync, but I also think everyone should learn to do it first since it develops a lot of skills that all these microwave DJs never learn.

They are also hopeless if they are ever put in front of real turntables or CD decks, and sometimes bringing a laptop, audio interface, laptop stand, hard drive, and controller is just a pain when you can bring a CD book and be set. CDs are the way to go a good deal of the time if you're playing with other DJs or in general. I have seen in many instances where promoters have turned down traktor and virtual dj DJs because they would rather not deal with all the rewiring in the booth and stick to DJs who can come and rock the place with a CD booklet. I like to be able to provide both options.
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 11-21-2009 at 04:29 PM.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Yeah I don't think it's good for beginners to go straight to midi controllers with sync. Everyone should learn on decks with vinyl, even CDJs are a stretch but at least you learn to beatmatch and train your ears with them. I do not think beatmatching itself is important now days and embrace sync, but I also think everyone should learn to do it first since it develops a lot of skills that all these microwave DJs never learn.
    So true... and to be honest sync is good for finding the right tempo, but not for finding the right place. Sometimes a few milliseconds more or less make the perfect mix, and traktor does not know that.

Traktor doesn't even know when a bar starts, or when an 8/16/32 bars structure starts or ends.

Tech Convert

Very, very good deal for all of that vinyl

The thing I miss the most is going through someone's record bag at a show, or at the after party. Everyone always had those 4 or 5 records that *never* left their bag, even if they never ended up playing them. It was kind of like going through someone's diary or something.

It'll be interesting seeing my buddy progress through his initial steps, starting with a laptop instead of decks. Our crew has already seen two people that bypassed records and started on CDs, and then one person now who's bypassing CDs and going straight to a computer.

I know he's gotten enough heckling from the crew about this, so I'm just going clamp up and do the best I can to make sure he doesn't end up like Ean's protege in the "Microwave DJs" article he wrote a while back!

Cheers,
    Jones
    Evan Jones
    Soundproof / Area709 / Beheshto
    www.soundproof.ca
    www.area709.com/evan

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123