Mapping mystery!! Help!
    Tech Wizard

Question Mapping mystery!! Help!

I'm examining the mapping that is designed to use with my controller and considering switching some things around but something that I don't understand is happening. (Using the Vestax VCI-400 Ean Golden Edition) There are some buttons which are functioning properly, but when I use the MIDI LEARN function in the Controller Editor, to find out the Channel and Note which that button is assigned to, there is nothing mapped to that Ch/Note in the mapping.

In other words, the button is doing something (ie. dropping a cuepoint) so is clearly mapped somehow to a function. But when I sort the controller editor by Channel/Note and scroll down to the spot where this Ch/Note appears, there is no function mapped to it at all.

How could this be?

Tech Mentor

I had a similar "problem" until I realized that the button sent two midi notes!

Try another midi monitoring app to investigate the send midi values.

I used midi monitor & xtreme mapping (on macOS) to find out all notes on my VCI-100 DJTT´s edition.

MacBookPro 11,1 | i5 2,4GHz | 16 GB RAM | 256 GB SSD
    MacOSX 10.15.x | TraktorPro 3.x | VCI-100 SE FW 1.4 | VCI-400 SE (EGE)

Simple answer to your question:
    Ean is the mysterious mystical magical master of midi development. The Merlin of usb connected dj controllers. The david Copperfield of ass... wait... that last one....
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

The pads are hard coded in the firmware to send two midi notes very quickly one after the other! This means that you can create a beatjump of +3 beats if you map your first note to beatjump +4 and then map a second one to beatjump -1.

The note that you're seeing was probably used to reset the note sequence and create a clear preset for the next button action. Something like the Note OFF event that usually happens when you let go of the buttons.