"i fooled the world into thinking i was a successful edm dj—for an art project"
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default "i fooled the world into thinking i was a successful edm dj—for an art project"

https://thump.vice.com/en_us/article...urce=thumpfbus

Just read this article on THUMP (vice). I guess its really that easy.
    Technics 1210 / Pioneer plx 1000 / Xone 42 / Adam a3x / UA apollo twin / Maschine mikro / Ableton live 9 / Maschine 2 / MBP Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015

Tech Mentor

The thing is, if she didn't 'know somebody' and didn't have a lot of cash and experience at her disposal then it wouldn't have been as easy, everyone knows its who you know.. the transition is so much easier if somebody can get you on.

Maybe i'm missing the point of the article... female learns to DJ, has agent who gets her sets.. she gets a reaction from the admittedly brainwashed crowd so more promoters book her? It's hardly ground breaking stuff.

Then it gets to the bottom of the article and the whole thing seemed like an advert for some website.

She fooled the world?

Or she fooled some "EDM" fans? (Who, coincidentally, are already fools anyway!)
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by goodbytes View Post
    The thing is, if she didn't 'know somebody' and didn't have a lot of cash and experience at her disposal then it wouldn't have been as easy, everyone knows its who you know.. the transition is so much easier if somebody can get you on.

Maybe i'm missing the point of the article... female learns to DJ, has agent who gets her sets.. she gets a reaction from the admittedly brainwashed crowd so more promoters book her? It's hardly ground breaking stuff.

Then it gets to the bottom of the article and the whole thing seemed like an advert for some website.

True... I think the exact same thing would work in any scene / genre. I know a few examples of DJs (female or male) who got picked up by someone famous / powerful and got lifted onto the big stages in a few weeks. Being (commercially) successful as a DJ is about technicals skills (which is getting less and less with CDJs and Software), promoting yourself and getting the right music. If someone teaches you the skills and takes away the other two success is a given.

Yeah, but I think the speed at which things evolved is the main focus. 4 months between first seeing decks to performing with Flume, Netsky at a festival.
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

I think it shows that it is about who you know, but once you have those contacts how easy it is too fool the world. Thats the bit that got me, her exposure went through the roof just like that, no need for credibility. AND she did it as a DJ only, I'm sure it would have exploded should she have got that back on those releases...

The Manchurian DJ.
    CDJ 2000 Nexus / DJM 900 Nexus / RMX 1000 (Crane stand pro holds it) / Traktor +Z1+X1MK2+F1+iPad/Laptop / Ableton 9 Suite / Ableton-Akai Push / NI Komplete 8 Ultimate +Monark & Battery 4 / Novation Launchpad / Akai MPK25 / Rokit 8's / NI Audio 6 / HDJ 2000 / Maschine / Chroma caps!!!

That article more or less represents why years ago, I stopped having pride in saying I was a DJ.

Tech Mentor

Maybe i'm missing the point of the article...
    the take away is that you don't need any talent to be an edm dj. you need business acumen, a network, and a little luck.

which is why when i hear people that go to these edm festivals saying "so and so was SO good" i can't help rolling my eyes

they just spent 100+ dollars to see artists that does not require any real talent for their profession (although there are many very talented artists), and they feel that the experience to see these people alone was worth the transaction.

there is nothing wrong with spending 100+ dollars to go to a festival, as there are other reasons why the festival experience is rewarding. but to see an artist play beat port banger after beat port banger is a waste of money. you can go on soundcloud and have that sonic experience for a fraction of the price.

this is why i refuse to spend more than 20 dollars cover to go to a club.

feel free to disagree.
    Technics 1210 / Pioneer plx 1000 / Xone 42 / Adam a3x / UA apollo twin / Maschine mikro / Ableton live 9 / Maschine 2 / MBP Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Killing time View Post
    the take away is that you don't need any talent to be an edm dj. you need business acumen, a network, and a little luck.

which is why when i hear people that go to these edm festivals saying "so and so was SO good" i can't help rolling my eyes

they just spent 100+ dollars to see artists that does not require any real talent for their profession (although there are many very talented artists), and they feel that the experience to see these people alone was worth the transaction.

there is nothing wrong with spending 100+ dollars to go to a festival, as there are other reasons why the festival experience is rewarding. but to see an artist play beat port banger after beat port banger is a waste of money. you can go on soundcloud and have that sonic experience for a fraction of the price.

this is why i refuse to spend more than 20 dollars cover to go to a club.

feel free to disagree.
    exactly how I feel...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast