Pioneer DDJ-SB2

Thread: Pioneer DDJ-SB2

Tech Student

Default Pioneer DDJ-SB2

Just bought this frankly fantastic controller - I've used the industry standard CDJ 2000 and DJM 2000 set-up before, and struggle to find anything this controller lacks over the flagship gear, at least anything I'd use on a regular basis.

The problem is, it won't work in Traktor.

Now I know Pioneer are in a diamond-coated agreement with Serato, so must refuse to even acknowledge the existence of any other DJ software, but why make it so damn difficult?

I could have a go at making a mapping myself, but having a scan over the MIDI CC list, it looks like it will take hours/days, and I'll lose my mind/smash my equipment up in the process.

Do people just not really use Traktor nowadays? Or is the DDJ-SB2 just not very popular yet?

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

You don't need a list of MIDI CC's
    Just use MIDI Learn and twist some knobs. CC will be mapped automatically.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Stewe View Post
    You don't need a list of MIDI CC's
    Just use MIDI Learn and twist some knobs. CC will be mapped automatically.
    This!

People buy Pioneer controllers because these work out of the box with serato and act like the CDJs.
    The disadvantage is, you cannot remap the functionalities or use every cheap controller for the software.

This is the advantage of Traktor.
    You can map every command to every midi sending hardware/software. You can combine functions and realize macros like Fader/Jog-FX, Super-Buttons/-Knobs,..

I believe the majority on this forum use Traktor. And to start mapping your own workflow to your controller you are at the right place. On the blog are tons of tutorials and on the forum you will find a lot of help.

To start you could edit an existing mapping for Traktor. Have a look at https://maps.djtechtools.com/ .

To get the midi notes, print the overview of your controller and write down each midi event of each klob/button/..
    I used "midi monitor" and "xtrememapping" (both mac only) to find out all notes on my controller.
    And ever since, I use that midi chart I made.

Soon, you will love this mind-losing, equipment-smashing and sometimes frustating mapping process.

MacBookPro 11,1 | i5 2,4GHz | 16 GB RAM | 256 GB SSD
    MacOSX 10.15.x | TraktorPro 3.x | VCI-100 SE FW 1.4 | VCI-400 SE (EGE)