Creative DJing in Ableton - What tricks do you have?

Default Creative DJing in Ableton - What tricks do you have?

Hi

I've been DJing with Ableton for just under a year now I think, and i've always considered moving to more appropriate tools for the job but i've always stayed for the creativity Ableton allows in my set ups.

For example, I love how easy it is to jump around in tracks by splitting them into multiple clips and its also so easy to add my own live instruments so I can spice up a track live or add a performance element for the audience to enjoy.

So I just wanted to start a conversation:
    What creative tricks have you developed for DJing in Ableton that are mostly only possible in the DAW?

This is something I used to do years ago:

DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Lightbulb Using a pair LPD 8 and Stutter Edit

Hey there! Yes, I've done a few shows using Ableton with an APC40 and a pair of LPD8 to trigger Stutter Edit effects. These work really well for heavy ElectroHouse and Dubstep mixes. You can see some examples on my soundcloud mix called "Dead Alive Electro."

BTW: I'm currently trying to integrate CDJ-2000 via a DJM-2000 setup (of course) but having problems with Ableton detecting it and I don't want to have to buy a Serato Soundcard/box.

Any suggestions to that?

Quote Originally Posted by demiensixx View Post
    Hey there! Yes, I've done a few shows using Ableton with an APC40 and a pair of LPD8 to trigger Stutter Edit effects. These work really well for heavy ElectroHouse and Dubstep mixes. You can see some examples on my soundcloud mix called "Dead Alive Electro."

BTW: I'm currently trying to integrate CDJ-2000 via a DJM-2000 setup (of course) but having problems with Ableton detecting it and I don't want to have to buy a Serato Soundcard/box.

Any suggestions to that?
    Hey i would love your help!

I have the APC40 mk2... I put effects rack that i made onto 4 channels. The problem is that when I adjust the macro for "beat repeat" in one track it adjusts same macro/beat repeat on all of them. How would I be able to get it to work independently on each of the 4 channels?

Tech Wizard

I like messing with warp modes on clips, one shots and vocals.... Complex mode + vocal+ large bpm shift= gold

Tech Wizard

For those with the APC40 MKII, I highly recommend checking out Will Marshall's (& iLL Gates'), DJ template. http://willmarshall.me/portfolio/dj-template-mkii/

One of the best ideas I've seen yet, in Ableton DJ'ing, is the use of X/Y or single encoders - being connected to two filters; one high pass and one low pass - creating a 'filter fader', which brings in/out the mid range, then highs and lows.
    When connected to an X/Y pad (as I do with an iPad), it makes a full filter mixer channel.

Aside from that, the template can give you a lot of ideas about DJ template setup and effects.

Tech Wizard

You should also check out the Isotonik Max for Live devices: http://isotonikstudios.com/isotonik/...on-maxforlive/

Default Ableton/Serato

Hi guys! New to the forums, hope to be a decent contributor!

I have a kind of bizarre setup, but it works for me: I run Ableton and Serato at the same time with my Numark V7 being the controller and audio output for Serato, this allows me to run a line from the V7 into an INPUT on my interface so the deck audio shows up on a normal Audio Track in Ableton. Why you may ask? I find the effect possibilities in Ableton are much more robust than anything Serato offers, and it makes integrating turntablist concepts into Ableton a breeze. Furthermore, I have come to enjoy using a pad on an Akai controller as a crazy sensitive "crossfader" instead of a standard DJ mixer to gate the output of the deck. It requires some creative midi effect usage and routing but you can end up with a MPD-type pad controller's pads sending the output of the deck through different effects chains based on which pad you are using to gate the scratches. (ex: pad 1 is dry, pad 2 has delay, pad 3 has delay plus overdrive, etc.) The possibilities are endless! If people are interested I can post a quick vid demonstrating.

Have a great day!

-BC