Traktor or Serato setup for working with non-electronic music (rock, funk, hiphop)?

Default Traktor or Serato setup for working with non-electronic music (rock, funk, hiphop)?

Hello all - I'm a longtime musician that also dabbles in production, and I'm looking to invest in a software/controller setup that will best suit playing a wide range of styles (including those mentioned above). I hope to hone my chops and get into doing some smaller gigs, but right now the focus is on immersing myself in learning a setup. I've looked at all of the NI controller options, but it seems as though a lot of reviews suggest that their newer gear (S8, S5, D2) isn't ideal for working with material with varying tempos. I've just started studying up on Serato's offerings, and it's coming across to me that perhaps this would be a better option for non-electronic material. I'd imagine that with enough effort either platform could work, but do any of you experienced DJ's want to throw in your two cents? Thanks in advance for your responses.

PS - I have Ableton Live Suite and Push, but prefer a separate system for DJing. I like the idea of having a dedicated production environment (mainly for the "change in scenery").

Cheers!

- Jeremy

You know how to warp tracks in Live, right? So, for tracks with a not-so-steady-tempo:

Warp in Live (Complex Mode) at song BPM
    Render to Disk.
    Play in Dj software.

The difference between traktor an Serato is minimal. Neither is really better than the other...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

assuming by 'non electronic music' you mean you mean non-quantized music... IMO Serato does handle this better than Traktor ATM

also assuming you mean A->B type mixing where you may sync or may not depending on the situation (i.e. you really need a pitch fader)... the new Traktor S controller series does not seemed position at A->B type mixing, more stem/live productiontype of synced DJing. The lack of pitch fader is the biggest issue for me, you can of course counter this by using DVS

In order to keep everything synced via software the Ableton warping approach above is the ideal solution but I don't know too many folks who are doing this regularly. Seems a lot easier just to open the mp3 in SDJ and warp the grid as needed.
    https://serato.com/manuals/dj/software/1.2/beatgrids
    see 'beat warp markers'

Also if you are into scratching sticker lock is totally awesome:
    https://support.serato.com/hc/en-us/...-Lock-Tutorial
    And for harmonic mixing key sync is great (over and above key shifting... which traktor does of course already do for a long time):
    https://support.serato.com/hc/en-us/...itch-n-Time-DJ

I reccommend you checkout the DDJ-SX/SX2/SZ/NS72/NS73 or (a bit of gamble given the new Reckordbox DJ software) RX/RZ etc

Definitely go with an SX2 with Serato.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Thanks for the input everyone. I do know how to warp tracks in Live, but I was hoping to streamline the process by "cutting out the middleman", if you will. It seems to me that Serato would be my best option presently, and I have been looking at the DDJ-SX2 as a controller for. Now my only concern is whether to pull the trigger now, or wait 2 long months until NAMM so I don't experience buyers remorse if Pioneer (or someone else) introduces some amazing new controller (or NI roll out Traktor Pro 3, with beat grid enhancements)!

They do a recordbox version as well now:
    https://www.pioneerdj.com/en/product...lack/overview/
    SC | MC