using external mixer using a controller as an interface.

Default using external mixer using a controller as an interface.

hi this is my first post.

i am going to be travelling with some gear and would like to minimise what i have to carry. i currently own a native instruments s2 and a reloop mixage interface and my laptop is a mac book pro. i want to connect my mac to a allen and heath db2 and i want to know if i can connect to it using on of my interfaces, i only really want to use the play buttons on my interface and i want to utilise the channels on the db2 mainly for the faders and eq. i have two usb a to b cables and i am currently thinking ... wondering if i can connect my laptop to both the controller and the mixer and select controller using an external mixer on the tractor software can any one shed any light on this issue or help in any way that would be great. thanks..

Hi mate.
    Both your S2 & Mixage only have the one main output, so mixing on more than one channel on a mixer is impossible. Your best bet would be to either just plug your controller into a free channel on the DB2 and mix on the controller, or pick up a cheap 2 channel interface such as the NI Audio 2, then you could mix externally on two channels on the big mixer and just use your controller for basic transport control.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

ha oh well it was a fun idea. improbably just going to have to lug my s2 in its box. i have looked at the native instrument x1 only has one usb (b socket). i think the allen and heath k2 might be the best option using the xlink connection. thank for the help i don't to be plugin things in wrong an messing any equipment up so i probably dogged a bullet there... thanks for the help.

thanks for the help mate seeing thing a little clearer

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    Hi mate.
    Both your S2 & Mixage only have the one main output, so mixing on more than one channel on a mixer is impossible. Your best bet would be to either just plug your controller into a free channel on the DB2 and mix on the controller, or pick up a cheap 2 channel interface such as the NI Audio 2, then you could mix externally on two channels on the big mixer and just use your controller for basic transport control.
    thanks for the help

I would suggest an X1 and and Audio 2 soundcard. I use 2 X1's myself and that combo fits in a bag nicely. The soundcard on the K2 is pretty shit apparently.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

I would suggest an X1 and and Audio 2 soundcard. I use 2 X1's myself and that combo fits in a bag nicely. The soundcard on the K2 is pretty shit apparently.
    ok. i would like to purchase the x1 i am really unsure about this. so i would connect the x1 to my laptop then from my laptop to the mixer with a usb, and i will get full function of the mixer and able to map the x1 for fx pitch and play buttons. from the information i can find lots keep saying that you connect you lap top using a phono to mini headphone jack and that doesn't seem right.

The only thing you plug into a mixer is audio cables mate. So you need a soundcard.

The only thing you plug into a mixer is audio cables mate. So you need a soundcard.
    Unless the mixer has an integrated soundcard, then you would be plugging an USB onto it.
    MF Pro & Spectra | Kontrol S4 MKI | 2x Kontrol S1 MKI | MC-1000 | Generic MKI

If BOTH controllers have a MAIN and a CUE (PFL) out, then you could create an aggregate audi device on your mac, giving you potentially 4-stereo channels athta you could have going to each line-in on the mixer.

4 Tracktor Decks, going to 4 separate audio channels on the mixer...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj