Production Computer
    Tech Convert

Default Production Computer

Hello,

My Macbook Pro 13' from 2009 (8GB RAM, 250GB hard drive) is giving me signals that it is time for new hardware.

At the moment I am conflicted, I don't know if to buy a Macbook Pro (15' top tech specs) or an iMac 27 inch.

Your opinions on the matter will be appreciated.

My current laptop could still be used for mobile situations, I am looking for performance in production. Maybe I am answering my own question. Let me rephrase, will it be a better experience to do my production on the iMac than on the Macbook? Should I wait for an upcoming model for these computers to come out?

thank you!

Pipoma

Just my opinion - but I'd always go for a desktop over a laptop for production (if you're having separate perfrmance/production machines).
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Convert

Thank you!

I love laptops, being able to take my music production set up anywhere I want and have full access to the same tools I always use is a huge bonus for me.

In my opinion if you can still work on producing with the laptop and solely need a new computer for home producing then get the iMac. You can do the bulk of your work on the iMac and if you really need to do anything on the fly you still have the Macbook. You get a great piece of kit when you buy those iMacs.. I've been eyeing them lately myself. This is personally what I would do, but obviously you should also consider the opposite like Tarekith said. Depends what will work best with you.

Tech Mentor

you can equip a mac mini with a good amount of power for a fraction of the price. look into that option as well.
    Technics 1210 / Pioneer plx 1000 / Xone 42 / Adam a3x / UA apollo twin / Maschine mikro / Ableton live 9 / Maschine 2 / MBP Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015

Tech Convert

I will look into the mac mini option, thank you had not thought of that.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Killing time View Post
    you can equip a mac mini with a good amount of power for a fraction of the price. look into that option as well.
    No, you can not. MacMinis do not come equiped with quad-core CPUs anymore.

Anyways I'd highly advice you, pipoma, to look into getting a custom desktop PC for music production. Unless of course you want to produce on the road (MBP "15) or money does not matter (MacPro).

A custom (self-build) PC can be a lot cheaper and more powerful too! Not only is the hardware a lot cheaper if you get it seperated, but also you can get exactly the parts you need. I'd estimate that you'd probably save about 50% if you got that way. Also you work with Logic so you need OS X there is ways around that too! If you are buying new it's even easier since you can just get something that has been tested before.

Also you'd want to check how the airflow of the newest generation of iMacs/MBPs is in case you go that way. For example my 2011 15" MBP is still ok power-wise, but I only used it a very few weeks for regular music production at home because of the terrific noise of the fans at 6200rpm. Now I have a custom PC that did not even cost a fortune (a lot less than you are considering tospend) with an isolated case and I can even make music while my girlfriend is sleeping in the same room

I used ADK to custom build my production computer. Solid prices, I tailored it to what I wanted and it's a nice, powerful, expandable, and quiet box. They do both Mac and PCs as well.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Tech Wizard

I agree with the majority, go desktop. More power, less cost.