Attack of the Show with Ean Golden
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Attack of the Show with Ean Golden

Just found this, thought I would share it.

http://g4tv.com/attackoftheshow/excl...ontroller.html
    Traktor Scratch Pro, Ableton Live 8, MacBook Pro 13'', Traktor Kontrol S4, Traktor Kontrol X1, , Midifighter, NI Audio 6 DJ, HDJ-2000 Headphones, UDG Producer Bag.
    Original Productions: https://soundcloud.com/alligator
    My Duo Productions: https://soundcloud.com/rockafellers
    Facebook Fanpage -->http://www.facebook.com/djalligator123

Tech Wizard

Abyrne7 - Thanks for the share!

Ean - You rocked! Great to see controllerism in the spotlight.

I hope they correct it to get VCI right. Definitely a cool segment and great exposure.

Is anyone else not at all impressed by Eans controllerism demos? I know he has skill and I feel like he could do so much more than what he showed on there and in a lot of his demos, it seems like he's holding back and not pushing it. If he wants to sell controllerism, he has to really push it and demonstrate it is capable of things beyond what anyone could do 5 minutes after discovering the hotcues on a CDJ (and I've seen 10x better cue juggling routines by people on CDJs).

I'm not saying he lacks the skill and couldn't do it, I'm just saying controllerism has the potential for a lot more and he needs to take it a step further, the aerodynamic routine was good but that should be the standard for most of us here, I want my mind to be blown, oh and whatever he demoed on the show was weaksauce. He focuses too much of the gater/mulholland drive combo (I know he uses a different second effect, I use the drive which sounds better) which I think most of us got tired of after a couples hours of discovering it in traktor and using it to death. It sounds awesome don't get me wrong, it is just twisting two knobs and the sound is very distinct to traktor and can be quickly overused, and once someone knows that you're doing and it isn't some mad crossfader scratching skills your audience will be unimpressed with it too. He is kind of disguising it here in some instances to make it look cooler by assigning it to the jogs and faders, which I actually thought of too to hide it a bit.

There are much better tracks that lend themselves to faster more mind blowing routines instead of slow underwhelming pecking at push buttons that doesn't sound like anything special. Since he is essentially selling controllerism with his products he needs to do a better job of showing it off or finding someone who can.
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 11-20-2009 at 09:54 AM.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Well, this is still a new thing for people. If the first things they see are just overly complicated and overwhelming they might be turned off thinking "I could never do that." If they see something interesting that they could pull off they might be more likely to say "Shit, I could do that too. I'm gonna go spend my money to be a controllerist too." The bad ones will stop at a certain point and the good ones will get more excited and dig deeper.

It totally does have the potential for a lot more. But we need to get people in doing simple things to start, and then build them up to much more exciting things.

And it LOOKS a lot different than doing it on CDJs, and that's a big part of it too.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    Well, this is still a new thing for people. If the first things they see are just overly complicated and overwhelming they might be turned off thinking "I could never do that." If they see something interesting that they could pull off they might be more likely to say "Shit, I could do that too. I'm gonna go spend my money to be a controllerist too." The bad ones will stop at a certain point and the good ones will get more excited and dig deeper.

It totally does have the potential for a lot more. But we need to get people in doing simple things to start, and then build them up to much more exciting things.

And it LOOKS a lot different than doing it on CDJs, and that's a big part of it too.
    While that's true he should have done something along the lines of the aerdynamic routine or that demo on the korg nanopad since it is more impressive and within any beginners reach. People also want to see the potential of a more advanced professional routine so they have something to work towards and come away saying "wow I want to be able to do that some day." I don't think seeing the latter and certainly if they have seen both will deter anyone, I expect it would do the opposite and send people straight to buy a controller or start saving for one.

Tech Guru

Either way I thought he did a good job introducing the person that knows absolutley nothing about DJ ing to controllerism.
    Traktor Scratch Pro, Ableton Live 8, MacBook Pro 13'', Traktor Kontrol S4, Traktor Kontrol X1, , Midifighter, NI Audio 6 DJ, HDJ-2000 Headphones, UDG Producer Bag.
    Original Productions: https://soundcloud.com/alligator
    My Duo Productions: https://soundcloud.com/rockafellers
    Facebook Fanpage -->http://www.facebook.com/djalligator123

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Right Xone, but that's why we got this site.

When they come here they can see the more advanced stuff
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Mentor

I agree with dvls. i think that routine was perfect for getting controllerism out there. Its shows the possibilities of what we do, with out going over peoples heads. If they are interested they can research further.

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    I hope they correct it to get VCI right. Definitely a cool segment and great exposure.

Is anyone else not at all impressed by Eans controllerism demos? I know he has skill and I feel like he could do so much more than what he showed on there and in a lot of his demos, it seems like he's holding back and not pushing it. If he wants to sell controllerism, he has to really push it and demonstrate it is capable of things beyond what anyone could do 5 minutes after discovering the hotcues on a CDJ (and I've seen 10x better cue juggling routines by people on CDJs).

I'm not saying he lacks the skill and couldn't do it, I'm just saying controllerism has the potential for a lot more and he needs to take it a step further, the aerodynamic routine was good but that should be the standard for most of us here, I want my mind to be blown, oh and whatever he demoed on the show was weaksauce. He focuses too much of the gater/mulholland drive combo (I know he uses a different second effect, I use the drive which sounds better) which I think most of us got tired of after a couples hours of discovering it in traktor and using it to death. It sounds awesome don't get me wrong, it is just twisting two knobs and the sound is very distinct to traktor and can be quickly overused, and once someone knows that you're doing and it isn't some mad crossfader scratching skills your audience will be unimpressed with it too. He is kind of disguising it here in some instances to make it look cooler by assigning it to the jogs and faders, which I actually thought of too to hide it a bit.

There are much better tracks that lend themselves to faster more mind blowing routines instead of slow underwhelming pecking at push buttons that doesn't sound like anything special. Since he is essentially selling controllerism with his products he needs to do a better job of showing it off or finding someone who can.

ugh.. where did you come from...

you spread so much negativity with half of the things you write...

He was showing the very basics in that demonstration. No matter what, the average person who watched that show doesn't know sh!t about controllerism. So I think him doing what he did was good for showing what is truelly being done so people can grasp what is being done. And your really gonna complain about the songs he chose? Really? No really??? man.

The big thing to remember here, is he wanted his demo to be interactive. He wanted the host to jump in. I think he purposely chose something accessible so it was fun, playful, and interactive. You have to remember that Ean is sponsored by Vestex. This means when he does something like this, he has to do it in a way that will sell their product. If he goes on a show like this and does something that looks impossible to a non-dj, it kills any interest that him being on the show might have created for Vestex's product.
    2 x Techinics 1200 mkIIs, SL1, Pioneer DJM-500, Novation Dicer, Stanton 680 carts, Acer Aspire 1410 11" Netbook
    ----------------------------------------------------

http://twitter.com/djlokifl

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast