Mixer to monitors : main output or booth output ?
    Tech Convert

Default Mixer to monitors : main output or booth output ?

I have readen here and there some words about that question, but i have not understood the point.
    I own the Pioneer sdj 80x, active monitoring speakers, for home use, they are my only speakers now.
    I own a Denon DN-X1600, with two outputs, the main and the booth.
    Which one must i use and more important, why ?
    Thanks for your competent answers.
    Last edited by elefanc; 11-23-2015 at 02:11 PM.
    Denon DN-X1600, 2 Native Instruments Kontrol X1, 2 Pioneer SDJ-80X.

http://soundcloud.com/owra

Booth.
    Because that way you can push up the volume to the monitors but your main led range will stay the same so it's easier to do volume management while mixing.
    Also, main output might be too strong so you would end up with very big jumps in volume when you adjust via the main volume knob.
    We had this question a few days ago, what's so hard to understand?
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Tech Convert

It is hard to understand because every forum have different answers. Even the Denon forum don't understand the question :/
    I understand now your point about the strong main output, but could it cause some damage to the monitors ?
    Denon DN-X1600, 2 Native Instruments Kontrol X1, 2 Pioneer SDJ-80X.

http://soundcloud.com/owra

Tech Guru

With only one set of speakers....the differences between "Master Out" and "Booth Out" will tend to fall into the level of nits. The specs provided by Denon do not allow for a detailed comparison of the different connections on the mixer. What little specs are available show the same +4dBu level (+24dBu max) for both balanced outputs (Master & Booth), and a +20dBu max output for the Master RCA outputs.

The "Master Out" has a level meter that provides an "objective" view of the actual level that is being sent to the PA/FOH. The "Booth Out" has no level meter. This is a significant difference in capability - but may not matter in the bedroom. Assuming that you do some initial walk through of the venue...you will have a reasonable ability to control the SPL in the space.

The physical connectors are a consideration. Master Out offers balanced xlr and unbalanced RCA. Booth Out offers balanced 1/4" TRS. With only one set of speakers, connect wherever it makes the most sense given the speakers and available cables.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Since your monitors do have a level knob, feel free to use master out. As always, ensure your volume VU meter matches that of your channel VU meter (as one channel is playing). THis will give you a better reference with less focus on the master while mixing.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

I run the booth out from my x1600 to the subs. Main out goes to our 15"s
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Convert

Many thanks for theses very clear answers.