scratching without cdj or vinyl in traktor pro
    Tech Mentor

Default scratching without cdj or vinyl in traktor pro

i was wondering how this person is doing what hes doing, how is this mapped out in traktor pro, and how may i map this on my apc40.. here is the link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tWFaB2uEC0

Quote Originally Posted by joeymeyer View Post
    i was wondering how this person is doing what hes doing, how is this mapped out in traktor pro, and how may i map this on my apc40.. here is the link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tWFaB2uEC0
    You can do it that doesn't mean it will sound any good (it sounded pretty awful when he tried to scratch in that video, so awful in fact that I couldn't finish watching it). Leave scratching for the turntables.

If you want to know how he did it, he assigned one of the faders like a jog wheel to control the tracks position and had the mode set to vinyl. What he was doing is the equivalent to the first thing anyone who has never DJed before will do when they get in front of turntables, CDJs, an NS7, etc. at a place like guitar center. They just keep the crossfader to one side and move the platter of the playing track around to make a scratchy noise. It sounds terrible and you see it every time you go there, you know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, if you want to scratch with Traktor pro you need a good controller with good jog wheels, a crossfader, and volume faders. Fortunately the VCI-100 has all of these things. Don't do it on your APC40, even if you could get by using the volume faders to move the track like in the video, they are just too stiff and you really need a platter to scratch, at least it has a crossfader though.

Yeah, I'd say the APC40 isn't where you want to go for your classic scratch sound. Look more in the direction of Otus, VCI, or straight decks.

Getting new, crazy scratch-*inspired* sounds using faders, jogs, and buttons and effects, though, is an admirable pursuit. See Ean's pitch-n-scratch technique post in the blog. It's a winner.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

I like it.
    I think thats a neat little trick assigning the Pitch to Scratch control.
    You could do the same thing on the APC40. Its gonna be limited but you could do what the guy does in the video.

Have a go.

Tech Mentor

Default walk through

where do i map this function in traktor 1.2.2??? i cant find it anywhwere