Newbie Producer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Producer

Default Newbie Producer

Hey guys, lately I started to experiment in Logic X, but so far i have not made it past the intro of the songs. So i would like to know tips and tricks to producing for example Future House, Big Room , Electro, etc...

Tech Mentor

1. Reading the manual. Yes.
    2. YouTube has TONS of good material. Don't be afraid to type "Logic X" + a genre or tecnique.
    3. There are some good books on this topic. It really depends on your current knowledge, but Dance Music Manual generally is a good point to start with.
    4. Don't get fooled that you need to spend more money on software and hardware. If you know your stuff you can make a hit with a computer, a DAW and some headphones.
    5. Focus as much as you can on actually making music.
    6. If you want progress you got to work on that. Fiddling around is fun and will get you a little further too. However if you want to step up the game some day you got to learn music theory, learn how to play at least one instrument and also don't be afraid to learn a bit of the physics side of things.
    7. Have fun. There should be no other reason to make music.
    8. Don't pirate.

Quote Originally Posted by tilldrop View Post
    1. Reading the manual. Yes.
    2. YouTube has TONS of good material. Don't be afraid to type "Logic X" + a genre or tecnique.
    3. There are some good books on this topic. It really depends on your current knowledge, but Dance Music Manual generally is a good point to start with.
    4. Don't get fooled that you need to spend more money on software and hardware. If you know your stuff you can make a hit with a computer, a DAW and some headphones.
    5. Focus as much as you can on actually making music.
    6. If you want progress you got to work on that. Fiddling around is fun and will get you a little further too. However if you want to step up the game some day you got to learn music theory, learn how to play at least one instrument and also don't be afraid to learn a bit of the physics side of things.
    7. Have fun. There should be no other reason to make music.
    8. Don't pirate.
    Thank you very much, I also had a doubt about the usage of loops, is it good to use some or it would be best to create my own sounds?

Tech Mentor

-don't be afraid to work with samples
    -listen to music to all types of music
    -don't worry about focusing on one element to make it sound perfect (it never will)
    -also be ready for everything that you make to suck. I've been making music for nearly two years now, and i still haven't made anything that i'm satisfied with.
    Technics 1210 / Pioneer plx 1000 / Xone 42 / Adam a3x / UA apollo twin / Maschine mikro / Ableton live 9 / Maschine 2 / MBP Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Killing time View Post
    -don't be afraid to work with samples
    -listen to music to all types of music
    -don't worry about focusing on one element to make it sound perfect (it never will)
    -also be ready for everything that you make to suck. I've been making music for nearly two years now, and i still haven't made anything that i'm satisfied with.
    Thank you for the advice, another thing i would like to ask (very basic but anyways) what should every song have for example sub bass, bass, kick etc...

I have to concur on refraining from pirating software. You will just get lost in a dark labyrinth that leads to lots of outdated software and nothing to show for you're time acquiring it.. Plus if your not tech savvy you may run into a big bucket of malware.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Bombeat View Post
    Thank you for the advice, another thing i would like to ask (very basic but anyways) what should every song have for example sub bass, bass, kick etc...
    Id say yes to an extent, my productions are all very different in nature and of course every genre of music has different methods of utilizing basslines and such. Dubstep is a good example of that. Just mess around with different bpms/tempos. Every song should have some bass in it in my opinion. Bass is the flavor that gives music such good appeal

I would also add don't start with the intro, start with the main bulk of the track. Start at say bar 72 for example. This way once you have your main meet of your track you can work backwards.

Also since your new dont put to much pressure on writing tune, work on learning the software, techniques and various other elements of making music.

Quote Originally Posted by wearemindflux View Post
    I would also add don't start with the intro, start with the main bulk of the track. Start at say bar 72 for example. This way once you have your main meet of your track you can work backwards.
    This is good advice I start by getting an 8 bar loop on the go, get the groove going then add or strip elements so im working backwards and forwards from the middle then its just a case of nailing down my breakdown elements and effects before i know it I have got a good 5 minutes of audio to take into the arrangement.
    Its easier to know the road to take when you know where you are heading to, if you drive blind to a destination you are not sure of you end up getting lost

Tech Convert

As a Newbie Producer myself, I saw a lot of videos on youtube learning how to do this and that. Every project that a make, I make it straight forward to the end and then begin another project... I know that the first things that come out always suck but in the future you can look back and realize that you've grown and things are getting better track after track. That's my point of view, dunno how you guys think.

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast