Need help getting started
    Tech Student

Default Need help getting started

I'm sorry if this is the 3 millionth thread started on here like this but I don't currently have the time to go through them all and compile the advice in them.

I am a new DJ with very limited experience. I am in college and my friends and I bought a shitty mixer and software and threw together some mixes over the years that we would play at large house parties while mixing in other stuff here and there. I really loved doing this and the rush I would get controlling 100+ peoples emotions with the music I was playing. Any way I transferred schools this year and want to see how far I can take this and get myself some real gear. I have a limited budget and want to take advantage of the cyber Monday deals to save me some money. I'm looking to get whatever I would need (minus speakers) to start putting together and doing legitimate sets that I could play at house parties of 100-500+ and have the ability to perform in a club or on stage if I were to actually ever get booked. All your advice is appreciated and I hope I don't come off rude or disrespectful to the community by jumping right in like this I just really want to get that rush of performing back and see where I can take it.

What's your budget? Sounds like you should go the controller route. What software are you using? You might want to look into the Kontrol S2. Bigger clubs will most likely have CDJ's. Some of the "smaller" places can have CDJ's or nothing at all and give you the flexibility to bring in your own stuff.

I agree, a controller would solve all the mobile solutions. At the end of the day it just comes down to what you want to play with, its all personal taste. Also just because you buy one thing doesnt mean your setup wont evolve over time. Ive had a whole slue of different controllers, mixers, decks, etc so its all about what you think will fit your style of playing.
    Setup - DJM-900Nexus, Kontrol F1, Kontrol x1 MK2, Lenovo Yoga 11s i7 8gig ram, 256 SSD.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyv View Post
    What's your budget?
    ^ This is the important bit :-)
    Live rig: Denon Prime (5000M's)
    Retired: Denon x1700, Denon SC3900's, Traktor, Technics SL1200's, my vinyl
    Wish list: Some Roland Aira stuff.

So the setup I had running was a great little limited budget setup that works. You're going to have to get out of your head dreams of Allen & Heaths, Pioneers and Technics because let's face it: You have a limited budget.

I run two Numark NDX400's (CDJs) into a Numark M6 mixer. The M6 is a four channels mixer, but if you don't think you'll ever need more than 2 channels, you could save yourself about 60 dollars and get the M2. I bought my NDXs used for about $100 each, you're looking at just over $300.

Now, if you want to be running a DVS software, there comes the pricey part. You could find a used Rane SL2 Serato box for about $300 (SL3 is three channels and SL4 is four channels so don't buy unless you want multiple channels) but you could also get a Denon DS1 new for $299 (I personally run an SL3 btw). You could also get a Traktor Audio 6 for about the same price as well.

So basically a simple DVS setup with CDJs can run about $600 which honestly might be better spent investing in an all in one controller like a Traktor S4 (which will come with more bells & whistles) but it all comes down to how you want to run your setup.

Hope this helped!

Default Keep it mobile an simple to start

I would say just get a macbook pro and a simple controller. Then once you learn that software really well and the controller, keep upgrading to something better. Do this until you fully know who you like to have your work flow.

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crobidj View Post
    I would say just get a macbook pro and a simple controller. Then once you learn that software really well and the controller, keep upgrading to something better. Do this until you fully know who you like to have your work flow.
    Agreed. Any DJ controller can do the job.. Because it's meant for that purpose.
    Just know your music and listen to ton of it. Only when you feel and "see" the music then ideas will start coming on their own and you will boost your creativity. Everything goes from music, even the mapping.

When you master two decks mixing (which takes years of hard work) then start choosing some real quality controller that will serve you for some years.

Tech Wizard

the new stems controllers from NI should keep you going for a long time!