Suggested Headphones for Laptop Production
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Suggested Headphones for Laptop Production

Hey all,

I am looking for some mixing/production headphones, I do my production on my laptop and I would like to now how much I would have to spend to get quality equipment.

thank you for your recommendations, if you could point to some in the DJ Techtools store it would be sweet as well.

Pipoma

Tech Wizard

I use DT-100s which I like cos they are quite flat sounding

It'll be easier to make recommendations if you give us your budget

For mixing, ideally you want open backed or semi-open backed otherwise the bass gets too hyped. I'd say to get a truly good pair you're looking at at least $150 for a sale price, and more likely $200 - $250.

I use Beyerdynamic DT-880's which are comfy as hell, fairly flat and semi-open backed, but one of these days I'll probably look at the Focal Spirit Pro's as they get a lot of love elsewhere.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Sony 7506
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    Sony 7506
    I like how the price on these look, I want to know how they sound. Why spend more when you can get these for $100?

The 7506's are very bright. I have some. I like them, and use them for DJing, not for production mixing.

However, Sonarworks makes a pretty cool VST plugin that more "flattens" out the sound of your headphones, and the 7506's were the first headphones they did so. You can find their item at JRR Shop for $49 right now. It seems to do a pretty good job w/ my 880's, however I haven't tried plugging in my 7506's and using it.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Tech Convert

I will check it out, Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotDedYet View Post
    The 7506's are very bright. I have some. I like them, and use them for DJing, not for production mixing.

However, Sonarworks makes a pretty cool VST plugin that more "flattens" out the sound of your headphones, and the 7506's were the first headphones they did so. You can find their item at JRR Shop for $49 right now. It seems to do a pretty good job w/ my 880's, however I haven't tried plugging in my 7506's and using it.

I like the sennheiser hd25, very light and transparent
    -------------------------
    2x Technics 1200 mk5, Ecler nuo 3.0.

7506's are a decent option for the price, though as mentioned they can be a bit bright and the low end not so deep. Not the most robust headphones either.

HD25s are certainly comfy (with the velour pads), but I always found that my low end didn't translate as well as I would have liked. Great for long late night listening sessions, but as a reference headphone only so so for me.

I'm using the Focal Spirit Pro's right now and have been pretty impressed with how my work translates once I listen to things on the bigger studio monitors. A bit more in price for sure, but if you're going to be working solely in headphones I think it's a great option for the money.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast