Help me put together a light setup
    Tech Convert

Default Help me put together a light setup

Hello folks,

Kinda my first official post/thread. I've been following DJTT for some time now and have found some amazing articles and generally good people here.

I would love your inputs and ideas on my venture to create a light, easy to carry, Traktor compatible setup.
    A little backstory about me -- I started Djing in NYC in 2008 and my first controller was the Hercules RMX which at the time, for the price, was a monster. I've played all over NYC at various events, clubs and even took it to Europe.
    I upgraded to the A&H XoneX which turned out a very poor piece of business, as the controller was later discontiued, I would assume because of its many faults. It currently sitting at home, collecting dust, while I figure out how to repair the constant power-spiking issues.
    In the mean time, I reverted back to the Hercules which is near the end of it's life, having served me well and I do rout the sound through my Audio 2 soundcard to take some burden off the RMX.

I have recently undertaken a change in my musical policy and going back to the spark that ignited the fire back in the day -- deep/groovy house. Unfortunately, I often stumble upon venues that don't offer much in terms of equipment (still not at the point where I get booked strictly at clubs and ready venues) and the rmx+audio2 work well for being able to hookup to speakers directly.

My venture is now to find a decent, light and traktor-friendly setup.
    Right off the bat I have in mind:

- (my existing) Macbook
    - (my existing) Audio 2 soundcard -- open to an upgrade.
    - Midi Fighter Twister -- to be used and mapped as a mixer to control deck sliders within Traktor as well as EQ faders and possibly effects
    - Kontrol X1 -- to control all other aspects of Traktor: transport, play, browse, etc.
    - USB Hub to connect everything together, including an external HHD -- something I will try to move away from soon. Thinking about a cloud solution where I can source music on the spot and download based on the event.

Please share your opinions and ideas. My biggest challenge is being able to stay in a comfortable price range but to also get all the functionality possible, and of course mapping everything properly without overlapping or mapping issues, as I am not too familiar with mapping.

Thank you!
    Bedp

Honstly I think you should stick to AIO bruv.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bedo View Post
    My venture is now to find a decent, light and traktor-friendly setup.
    Right off the bat I have in mind:

- (my existing) Macbook
    - (my existing) Audio 2 soundcard -- open to an upgrade.
    - Midi Fighter Twister -- to be used and mapped as a mixer to control deck sliders within Traktor as well as EQ faders and possibly effects
    - Kontrol X1 -- to control all other aspects of Traktor: transport, play, browse, etc.
    - USB Hub to connect everything together, including an external HHD -- something I will try to move away from soon. Thinking about a cloud solution where I can source music on the spot and download based on the event
    That's a good start.

I have a MF Twister and use it in the step sequencer mode. I have briefly experimented with the various mixer mappings, and been generally unsatisfied.

I have two X1's, one Mk1 and one Mk2. Both are nice. But I do notice the lack of channel sliders and EQ.

A A&H Xone K2 would provide 4 channel faders, and EQ (or other) controls, as well as a soundcard. That might be a good addition to the setup - and I would prefer this even to a Twister for a compact setup.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by soundinmotiondj View Post
    That's a good start.

I have a MF Twister and use it in the step sequencer mode. I have briefly experimented with the various mixer mappings, and been generally unsatisfied.

I have two X1's, one Mk1 and one Mk2. Both are nice. But I do notice the lack of channel sliders and EQ.

A A&H Xone K2 would provide 4 channel faders, and EQ (or other) controls, as well as a soundcard. That might be a good addition to the setup - and I would prefer this even to a Twister for a compact setup.
    My idea was to get a mapping tool and spend some time mapping out the twister myself to server as a rotary mixer, not too sure if it's a suicidal task lol. The rotary function on the twister can control volume on each deck, as opposed to sliders, but I guess that depends on each individual person's preference.

The X1 I feel is essentially the same as the Xone K2, sans sliders.. it seems like in their efforts to compete, companies sacrifice functionality.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by the_bastet View Post
    Honstly I think you should stick to AIO bruv.
    Truthfully, me too. However as I mentioned previously, I can't always take advantage of venues that provide you with a pair of CDJs and a solid mixer so you can just go in and stick your music and go straight analog.. as much as I would love that.

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Hey bedo,

With Twister's four internal midi banks you can easily setup various pages of the mapping with everything you feel missing from 2 X1's.

1. Mixer
    2. FX
    3. 8 Cues
    4. Sample triggers

I'll be glad to give some help with that mapping if you decide to grab the midi fighter eventually.
    Cheers,

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Stewe View Post
    Hey bedo,

With Twister's four internal midi banks you can easily setup various pages of the mapping with everything you feel missing from 2 X1's.

1. Mixer
    2. FX
    3. 8 Cues
    4. Sample triggers

I'll be glad to give some help with that mapping if you decide to grab the midi fighter eventually.
    Cheers,
    Thanks Stewe,

That's where I think Im headed, so don't mind if I reach out to you in a few weeks or so thanks

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bedo View Post
    Thanks Stewe,

That's where I think Im headed, so don't mind if I reach out to you in a few weeks or so thanks
    OK - cool.
    Feel free to send me a PM when your Twister arrive so we can do this!

Cheers,