Beginner vinyl dj purchasing Technics for home HELP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Beginner vinyl dj purchasing Technics for home HELP

Hi guys,

I have recently become interested in purchasing Technics 1200s or 1210s MK2. I live in the UK I was wondering where the best place to purchase them was (ebay amazon for used?) I also need help choosing a decent mixer for djing with vinyl if you have any suggestions? budget is in a good place but do not want to go overboard.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place as said before I am new!

Any comments appreciated.

Tech Mentor

Check yer local crack convertors and the like, sometimes they'll do you a deal if they've had them sitting on the shelf or stored out back for a while.
    Use the ebay search options to get a feel of the market atm by following a few auctions and completed listings with whole setups, 2 decks, single deck ... to give yerself some idea how much they're fetching atm.

All you need is a two channel mixer with a phono preamp. (not solely line - if you don't have phono preamps, you might need phono preamps between the decks and the mixer)
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Tech Mentor

Juno were selling the 2 channel Xone 22 for £189. Nice little mixer and really all you need. ImNotDeadYet is right, though. You might need a phono preamp as well. I route everything through my MOTU ultralite so I can record everything into Ableton or Audacity.

For the turntables check Gumtree for any sellers local to you. That way you can go and check them out in person, pay cash, and take them home yourself if you're happy.

Ebay is fine but I wouldn't want to be dealing with someone over a distance that meant I couldn't see them first. Additionally, turntables are really not something you want to have posted if at possible- some people know what they are doing in this regard, but there are plenty of people out there who don't package them correctly and you'll end up with broken tone arms etc.
    https://www.facebook.com/ekmobile.entertainment / http://soundcloud.com/dave-eden
    2 Denon SC2900, Denon Dn-x1600, 2 Vestax PDX2000mk2, 2 Technics 1210, Stanton SK6, Gemini SA600mk2, Pio HDJ1500, 2 Synergy CD2000 (antiques)

I hella dig both the Epsilon InnoMix and DjTech Dif-1s mixers for an affordablke battle mixer.

Any specific reason you want Technics? Thee are plenty of OEM and super OEM TT's on the market.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Thanks for all the information so far

I've heard nothing but good things about Technics and a few of my friends that dj have put me on to them as well.

I am brand new to this so is 2 turntables, 2 channel mixer, phono preamp and speakers the staple set up to dj with vinyl?

Thanks guys

Tech Wizard

Technics turntables are definitely the way to go if you want to learn proper DJ'ing and they are quality instruments, however, I wouldn't buy them without a test run first to make sure they are in good working condition. And if you are just starting out, it would be a good idea for you to bring a more knowledgeable friend with you to put them through a few mixes to make sure they are functioning properly and that everything looks right. For this reason, if I was you, I would check your local listings first so that you can check them out in person.

And yes, I think this: "I am brand new to this so is 2 turntables, 2 channel mixer, phono preamp and speakers the staple set up to dj with vinyl?" makes sense although I use a self powered JBL DJ monitor. Good luck!!

Although its not imperative and if at all possible you might want to find out if they were kept on a smoke/dust free enviroment, you would be amazed how much crap can acumulate under the platters, also worth noting if they need calibrating, if your going to splash out on technics i would check everything is tip top and wouldnt buy blind, have a go on them first if you can

Default craigslist

Craigslist.

Do your research and keep an eye out, you can find great deals on Technics on craigslist. Got a pair of very lightly used MK5's form a DJ who used them as backups and rarely took them out of their flight cases (got those too). and when I went to pick them up i noticed his massive vinyl collection which he said he was also selling. Around 1,600 albums for $400. got the two technics wit flight cases for around 1000. One of my DJ mentors got a brand new
    SL-1200 GLD for around $200 from someone who didn't know what it was. Gotta love craigslist!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast