The new community-member experience on this forum is extremely poor
    Tech Convert

Default The new community-member experience on this forum is extremely poor

Hi everyone,

Recently I wanted to tap into the rich hive mind of the DJTT so I created an account here and was blasted back to the year 1999 (actually, I recall forums actually being easier to use back then).

Here are the issues that I am currently experiencing that contribute to an extremely high friction to on boarding new members of the community. While I understand that self-promoting DJs can be annoying and need to be moderated, surely there must be better solutions and technologies than what is currently in place.

Let me be clear, my intention here is to provide constructive feedback

- I keep being asked who the president of the USA is. It's kind of akin to indoctrination and grosses me out. I would much rather solve a simple math problem.

- I'm still waiting for my 2nd post to be approved or something, meanwhile, replies to my first post go up. There's not even a message telling me that this is because I'm a new user-- I had to hunt for an FAQ before I realized this. Please at least provide an alert telling users where their post went and try to improve the time it takes you to approve a post. 5 posts that need to be approved by moderators also seems like too many.

- Whenever I post anything I get redirected back to the list of all the forums and I can't find my post.

How much friction is too much friction?

Thanks for reading

digidork

Quote Originally Posted by digidork View Post
    5 posts that need to be approved by moderators also seems like too many.
    Congratulations! You've hit the five post mark so you're in the clear!

Honestly, I thought it seemed a little heavy in terms of protection against spam at first, but once you cross the threshold of 5 posts, it's all good.

As for the redirecting of I haven't had a problem with it, but it shouldn't be too hard to find where you posted something. Unless someone posted at the same time in a subforum (or slightly thereafter) you'll still be the top post (excluding pinned posts).

EDIT:
    Also does the redirecting occur after you post a new thread? Or is it when it tells you it's going to be moderated? When I just posted this, it took me back to this thread.
    Last edited by overcast; 12-10-2015 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Additional comment

Tech Wizard

I'm glad I found this post. Was worried I was messing something up.
    Shawn

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by digidork View Post
    I had to hunt for an FAQ before I realized this. Please at least provide an alert telling users where their post went and try to improve the time it takes you to approve a post. 5 posts that need to be approved by moderators also seems like too many.
    Virtually every forum (and website) on the internet has a FAQ. It is good netiquette to read it prior to posting.
    The FAQ is the alert.

Karlos

Tech Mentor

whats easier;

google searching for an answer

depend on arithmetic skills of a user

also, arithmetics or any quantitative computation, is done especially well by computers. qualitative questions are not.
    Technics 1210 / Pioneer plx 1000 / Xone 42 / Adam a3x / UA apollo twin / Maschine mikro / Ableton live 9 / Maschine 2 / MBP Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015