Synth recommendation
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Synth recommendation

I really want to get some proper hardware synths, something i can really get hands-on with a feel, but they're obviously not cheap, so can any recommend a synth, I'm a beginner so something that I can hook up to my Allen and heath Zed 10 mixer and use with iMac and Logic.

Budget is around 250-300. Preferably keys, but if there is a good module im open to that too.

I'm into House and Techno, and Funk. So you know, Moog, Juno, Jupiter, Prophet, all sounds that I love.

Is a Novation Bass station MK2 worth getting?

got my eyes on a few, which arE:

Roland JU-06 (£229
    Roland JP-08 (£229)
    Waldorf Pulse 2 (around 350 ish)
    Novation Bass Station MK2 (200-300)
    Last edited by Superfreak; 12-10-2015 at 05:07 PM.
    Roland TB-3, Roland TR-505, Maschine MK1 2.0, Alesis VI25, Novation Impulse 25, Allen & Heath ZED 10, iMac 2.9 GHz i5 8GB RAM, MBP 15" 2.66GHz, Logic Pro 9, Logic Pro X, Ableton Live 8, Ableton Live 9, KRK Rokit 8 G5's, Editor Keys Monitor Guards, Traktor Scratch Pro 2, Audio 10, , Vestax PDX-d3s x2, Kontrol X1 x2, Lexicon Alpha USB Audio Interface,

BS2 is a helluva synth for the price.

The new Roland's might fit the bill for you as well, if you can handle the mini keys.

Don't discount the idea of the Mini/Microbrutes. It will open you up for some semi-modular stuff.

Not sure the going rate on the MS-20 Mini these days, but I'm guessing you could score one used. I love the sound on those dual resonant filters, and you also get the semi-modular thing with it. (mini keys again)

For Moog - you could go Werkstatt, or perhaps a Mother-32 if you can find one for the right price, but the Mother-32 is a single oscillator, so not something I'd recommend for starting out with hardware. I think you'd get bored. Keep your eyes peeled for a used Minitaur as well for bass duties.

And don't forget the Yamaha Reface stuff as well if you can do mini keys. The DX has gotten quite a bit of love as actually being an FM synth that's not a major pain to program.
    Last edited by ImNotDedYet; 12-10-2015 at 05:26 PM.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

I alwys loved (and currently miss) my Korg Triton Workstation.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Wizard

novation circuit looks a funky little groovebox

Minitaur is soooooo good. Check the vst interface u can use for saving presets etc. Adds proper analogue weight to any production and that filter is sick! Love it.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

The Bass Station 2 is a beast. Total control over all parameters. Plus you can really crank out some sick sounds.
    One feeds the pocket, the other feeds the soul "DJ Mpire"

Thanks for your replies guys, please keep 'em coming - i'm really trying to find the best, affordable one.

I'm leaning towards the Bass Station 2 a lot, but of course its just bass, i could get a synth that does bass, chords, and other things, just trying to get the best i can right now.

I would definitely prefer something with keys than a module, as it's just all there ready, instead of swapping midi cables from my midi keyboard to different things, as i have 2, one for midi controlling maschine, and then my main midi keyboard, for Logic , and also my TB-3.

I'm really 'umming and arring' on the Roland Boutique synths, would most likely get the JP-08, Jupiter replication. But i dunno, they seem a bit toy-ish, i dont know, i'm not a synth expert so forgive me if i sound rude..

I want something with a fair amount of control/knobs and stuff, something that will generate sounds that suit my style, House (not commercial), Techno, mainly. But i love p-funk, (think George Clinton/Funkadelic). I want some good sub bass, wobbly lfo stuff, dark basslines, etc

So, is the Jp-08 fully suited for that? Or will i get good use out of the Bass Station.

Don't wanna get something that i could easily get a plugin version of, you know.

Help
    Last edited by Superfreak; 12-11-2015 at 12:50 PM.
    Roland TB-3, Roland TR-505, Maschine MK1 2.0, Alesis VI25, Novation Impulse 25, Allen & Heath ZED 10, iMac 2.9 GHz i5 8GB RAM, MBP 15" 2.66GHz, Logic Pro 9, Logic Pro X, Ableton Live 8, Ableton Live 9, KRK Rokit 8 G5's, Editor Keys Monitor Guards, Traktor Scratch Pro 2, Audio 10, , Vestax PDX-d3s x2, Kontrol X1 x2, Lexicon Alpha USB Audio Interface,

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotDedYet View Post
    BS2 is a helluva synth for the price.

The new Roland's might fit the bill for you as well, if you can handle the mini keys.

Don't discount the idea of the Mini/Microbrutes. It will open you up for some semi-modular stuff.

Not sure the going rate on the MS-20 Mini these days, but I'm guessing you could score one used. I love the sound on those dual resonant filters, and you also get the semi-modular thing with it. (mini keys again)

For Moog - you could go Werkstatt, or perhaps a Mother-32 if you can find one for the right price, but the Mother-32 is a single oscillator, so not something I'd recommend for starting out with hardware. I think you'd get bored. Keep your eyes peeled for a used Minitaur as well for bass duties.

And don't forget the Yamaha Reface stuff as well if you can do mini keys. The DX has gotten quite a bit of love as actually being an FM synth that's not a major pain to program.
    Watching a demo for the MicroBrute.. sheeeesh, does sound nice......

BS2 can do the same?

I just don't know if i should go with something that's just a bass synth, or something that i can get many different sounds out of...

Really close to getting the BSII though...

The BS2 isn't just a bass synth, whereas the Minitaur really is. BS2 can do leads just fine - but it is a mono synth, so playing chords is a no go unless you track each note separately. (multiple note capabilities are really only necessary for pads/stabs IMO) It gives you control over everything, and really seems to tick all of your boxes - great sub, great for basses for techno, great for tweaking knobs/levels, etc. although it does share the same set of levers for each osc.

The brutes are more of a dirty type of sound than the BS2 IMO. But they're also single osc. if I remember correctly. (you do get a sub, but I don't really consider that another osc) The BS2 gives you two oscillators as well as a sub - and multiple options of sub waves. I'd say the brutes have a dirty sound similar to an MS-20 Mini, but you get a bit different functionality with the MS-20. (no velocity control, multiple oscillators, no sub)

I don't know about the JP-08. They are small, and toyish feeling, but apparently put out some very good sound, doing a good job of replicating the originals. The big thing these have that the BS2, MS-20 Mini and Brutes don't have is they're polyphonic - only four notes, but you could do simple pads/stabs on these in addition to bass/lead-type stuff. Just watch out for note stealing if you're doing pads or quick stabs since it's only four note poly.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast