Upgrade Advice Needed : from Pioneer DDJ-SR to...

Default Upgrade Advice Needed : from Pioneer DDJ-SR to...

Hello all,

This is my first post here and I'm looking for any and all advice on upgrading my equipment. I'm currently using a Pioneer DDJ-SR with Serato DJ and have, to my knowledge, maxed out the board. I play across a broad range of of music depending on what I'm feeling that day, yet I like the freedom to play throughout genres due to playing for long periods of time at house parties or just with friends (~3-4 hours at a time). I'm looking to also move into playing at the local bars and clubs in my area as well, and have already played two gigs back in November with my DDJ-SR. Most of the music I stick to is House, Nu-Disco, Techno, Progressive, and like to add old disco hits and rap acapellas to songs. The DDJ-SR is a great piece of equipment and I think Serato has come a long way especially with the new ability analyze the key for harmonic mixing. The main thing I have found holding me back is that the board is only two channels. I enjoy remixing on the fly with finger drumming and adding acapella, but this is more difficult than it should be when switching between the 4 decks on my laptop using the DDJ-SR. My friend that I play music with recently upgraded from a DDJ-SR and Serato to Traktor pro and is using a modular set up consisting of the NI Knotrol X1 MKS, midi fighter twister (my favorite part of the set up), and lastly a Kontrol Z2. I've played on this a lot and really like the set up. The modular set up is great because he is able to add on a lot of equipment and take away parts as the music technology advances. My main beef is that is relies heavily on setting up beat grids, which is a huge pain since I rip a lot of my music from youtube, which sorry if that pisses you off- I'm a poor college kid. I know that if I am going to start playing in more bars and clubs I'll have to start buying quality music from beatport or join a music pool, but thats for another time. Back to the topic at hand, I like being able to adjust tempos, beat match, and loop on the fly as I find it more challenging and fun. His modular set up hinders this as I feel I'm just stuck between 120-128 BPMs of a specific genre.

So, after that longwinded history of my DJing and complaints (thanks if you've made it this far) I need some serious help finding a new set up with a budget of ~ $1,200. (I can save up for stuff I just want to know ideas on what to get/future goals).The main boards I'm looking at are mostly all in one like the Kontol S4 MK2, Kontrol S5, and DDJ-SX. My dream is to have two Pioneer CDJs and a mixer, but I just don't have those kind of fund as I can't even buy music right now. A modular set up is something I'm also considering, but have not put as much though into it as mixers are quite expensive. Serato and Traktor don't really matter to me. They're both great software and I feel confident in my abilities with both. Having something for production is also huge for me as I'm currently messing with Ableton live and hopefully will be able to drop my own tracks in a set soon. A board or modular set up that aids in this is a must.

Summery of the above paragraphs-

I want to upgrade from my DDJ-SR / only have about $1,200 / would like to have freedom to add equipment for remixing on the fly (remix decks / finger drumming) / something to aid in music production / want equipment that lets me play freely from genre to genre and different tempos while also letting me get deep within the music maybe with stems or control of EQs. (probably realistic if I had unlimited funds, but we'll see what information you give)

Likes/wants in equipment-
    -tempo changing
    -jog wheels
    -playing across genres
    -remixing on the fly
    -The ability of adding remixes like the midi twister allow
    -freedom of modular set up or something like this with added on jog wheels?
    -4 channels

Possible equipment I'm considering-

1) Kontrol S4 MK2 + midi fighter twister
    --Not sure of sound quality as it's an all in one mixer and would I need a sound card, same goes for any of these all in ones?

2) DDJ-SX + any finger drumming equipment
    --Don't like how expensive it is / know its just a 4 deck DDJ-SR.
    --Not sure that serato and ableton work too well together

3) Kontrol S5 + midi fighter twister
    --love the idea of stems and on deck screens
    --Scared I'll still be staying in the same BPM range and won't have freedom of playing across genres
    --I would like to have jog wheels
    -- Basically, everything Ean said in his review linked below.

http://djtechtools.com/2015/10/02/tr...e-s4-followup/

Hope this gives you all enough information to help myself and future DJs looking at this this. I'm open to any and all advice / criticism in my set ups I presented. If you have other Djing software that you all prefer or equipment feel free you find superior to what I'm thinking than please include it as well. I'm all ears.
    Last edited by DKwaugh; 12-12-2015 at 06:02 PM.

Tech Mentor

The DDJ-RX or DDJ-SXw (rekordbox and Serato) will fill all your requirements - it just comes down to your software preference. SX2 will work with both Serato DJ and Rekordbox where the RX will only work with Recordbox. Another option if you want the bigger jogs, is the Z line of each of those.

I have owned the SX and now the RX if you have any questions.

My thoughts on Rekordbox - while it is new (the performance package), it will IMO take the best features of both traktornand serato and take the lead; Pioneer is good at this.

Quote Originally Posted by NewManSoon View Post
    The DDJ-RX or DDJ-SXw (rekordbox and Serato) will fill all your requirements - it just comes down to your software preference. SX2 will work with both Serato DJ and Rekordbox where the RX will only work with Recordbox. Another option if you want the bigger jogs, is the Z line of each of those.

I have owned the SX and now the RX if you have any questions.

My thoughts on Rekordbox - while it is new (the performance package), it will IMO take the best features of both traktornand serato and take the lead; Pioneer is good at this.

Whats your opinion on traktor? I feel like they're moving in a more creative direction with the release of stems, but I haven't heard of anyone backing up the file format. Serato and rekordbox seem to be the same thing to me. Do you have any differences that you like more about rekordbox? Lastly, how is the sound output with the DDJ-SX2? Would I need a soundcard or anything if I were to go play at a bar or something?

I agree with NewManSoon, but i would pick the DDJ-RX because:

-using a native controller is better if you plan to use rekordbox
    -rekordbox is THE software used in club so you don't get to put all cue points and edit beatgrids twice
    -better effects section (close to Pioneer's DJM mixers in the DJ booth in clubs)
    -integration of beatport pro 2 in rekordbox because it is an awesome software (thanks DJTT for the walkthrough!)

Hope i will get it for Xmas i've made my choice, hoped it helped you in your decision making!

Quote Originally Posted by DKwaugh View Post
    1) Kontrol S4 MK2 + midi fighter twister
    --Not sure of sound quality as it's an all in one mixer and would I need a sound card, same goes for any of these all in ones?
    What about the internal card? For smaller venues it should be OK. I used my S2 a couple of times and it sounded just fine on a mid range PA.

Systematik

The RX matches your old device, so get it, comes with great capabilities for live remixing and creativity.