Poor man's Richie Hawtin...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Modular Hawtin-style setup - Xone 92 the only way?

Looking to get a proper mixer to replace my S4 and move towards a more modular system with the intent of emulating the setup used by Richie Hawtin, Chris Liebing etc.

Desired setup:
    Mixer
    Audio coming from Traktor
    NI Audio 10 (or built in card with the 4D)
    2x Kontrol X1s
    Ableton running Maschine & Lexicon Delay
    External FX unit
    Possibly CDJs in the future

FYI the only things I own from this list are Traktor, Maschine and Ableton.

So my question is:
    Do I really need to fork out for a Xone 92?

I would obviously love a 92 but the financial outlay is making me think twice, as DJing is purely a hobby. So here are my other options:

Option 1 (€600 less than the 92 but will it play nicely with maschine plus a few FX sources etc?):
    Xone 43

Option 2 (€400 less than the 92 but possible layout issues?):
    Xone 62

Option 3 (€300 less than the Xone but already has everything I need? Will I miss the quad EQs?):
    Xone 4D

Option 4 (bite the bullet?):
    Xone 92

Option 5 (the saga continues...):
    Wait for the Xone 93?

Will I be able to achieve what I want with the other configurations?

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated!
    Last edited by tombarton; 12-15-2015 at 03:26 PM.
    DJ: Allen & Heath Xone DB2 / NI Audio 10 / Technics SL1210 MK2 / Kontrol X1 MK2 / NI Maschine MK2 / Traktor
    Production: Novation Impulse 25 / NI Maschine Mk2 / Ableton

Tech Wizard

I wouldn't go for an 4D, IMHO it's supposed to be used as a midi controller. If you don't want to use the midi controller part I wouldn't buy it.

Secondly, how many channels do you want? If you opt for the Xone 43, which is the cheapest option. You would only have 4 channels. That means you probably end up with 3 Traktor decks and 1 Ableton channel. Offcourse you can route al kind of things from Ableton through a single channel on the Xone and mix them beforehand internally. Furthermore you would only have a single send on the Xone 43 (the Xone 62 has also just a single send btw).

And don't underestimate the power of 4 band EQ, it will make glue things together so much easier. The second filter of the 92 is also nice.

If you have the money to spend, get the 92 and never look back :P But the 43 is nice also, just not as flexible and powerfull as the 92..

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Thijs View Post
    I wouldn't go for an 4D, IMHO it's supposed to be used as a midi controller. If you don't want to use the midi controller part I wouldn't buy it.

Secondly, how many channels do you want? If you opt for the Xone 43, which is the cheapest option. You would only have 4 channels. That means you probably end up with 3 Traktor decks and 1 Ableton channel. Offcourse you can route al kind of things from Ableton through a single channel on the Xone and mix them beforehand internally. Furthermore you would only have a single send on the Xone 43 (the Xone 62 has also just a single send btw).

And don't underestimate the power of 4 band EQ, it will make glue things together so much easier. The second filter of the 92 is also nice.

If you have the money to spend, get the 92 and never look back :P But the 43 is nice also, just not as flexible and powerfull as the 92..
    Thanks for your reply.

The 4D is basically a 92 with 2 1Ds isn't it? i.e. It can still be used as a full analogue mixer. My intention here was to run 3 Traktor channels into it, controlling decks A and B with the X1s and mapping the left side of the 4D to a remix deck in C. Then I would run Ableton's output into the final channel and map the right side to control Ableton and Maschine. The sliders in particular being used to control the volumes of 4 Maschine banks each used for a kick, snare, clap and hat etc.

I am very close to buying the 4D but I am slightly worried about the long-term support for it. There are still no OS X el Capitan drivers for it, which I would need. Should I stay clear?

Regarding the Xone 43, could I run the Maschine output into the aux channel on the top left?
    DJ: Allen & Heath Xone DB2 / NI Audio 10 / Technics SL1210 MK2 / Kontrol X1 MK2 / NI Maschine MK2 / Traktor

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by tombarton View Post
    I am very close to buying the 4D but I am slightly worried about the long-term support for it. There are still no OS X el Capitan drivers for it, which I would need. Should I stay clear?
    New drivers have now been released for el capitan: http://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/xone4d/

And they've come at the same time as the rest of the xone range, the delay was most likely due to a thorough test to ensure they were live performance ready.
    Last edited by rob2192; 12-17-2015 at 12:49 PM.
    Xone DB4 | Pioneer DDJ-SP1 | DJ Tech CDJ 101 (x2) | Serato DJ
    NI X1 MKII | NI Scratch A6 | MF Twister | Traktor Pro 2
    Sennheiser HD 25 II | KRK Rokit 5 (x2) | Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    Mixed In Key 8 | MusicBrainz Picard | Mixxx 2

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by rob2192 View Post
    New drivers have now been released for el capitan: http://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/xone4d/

And they've come at the same time as the rest of the xone range, the delay was most likely due to a thorough test to ensure they were live performance ready.
    Excellent! The trouble I'm having now is finding one. Found a shop that thinks that they can order one but the sales guy is trying to persuade me to go for something else (the DB2).

Is the 4D really outdated in comparison with the more modern stuff? The saleman seemed to think that I would be disappointed with the sound quality? Could this really be the case coming from an S4 (on Yamaha HS80 monitors).

What about the Xone 42/43? Can I simply run maschine to the aux input?

Or the 62? Would that provide everything I need for my setup?

Too many options!

Tech Mentor

the salesman seemed to think that I would be disappointed with the sound quality?
    He's talking bollocks the only thing i've heard about disappointment with sound quality from allen and heath was when they released the db series people complained of a digital sound.
    The 4D contains the analogue circuitry A&H are known for, it's newer than the 92 and people love that. Since the 43 is just an updated 42 i doubt the circuits changed a great deal, so the only difference between that and a 4d would be less features on the 42/43.
    The only thing you might be disappointed with is the midi buttons on the 4d don't all have led feedback so are not as versatile as some midi controllers.

What about the Xone 42/43? Can I simply run maschine to the aux input?
    Yes providing you have an audio interface.

Or the 62? Would that provide everything I need for my setup?
    Yes probably, but that is really old, depends if you like the look, feel and sound of it.

See what ebay, gumtree etc have to offer, you can get some really good prices.

Tech Wizard

Thanks for your reply, Rob.

Just still wondering about the 4Ds long-term future. If the drivers are no longer updated for the next osx update, does that mean a lack of all soundcard and midi functions or just the soundcard? If so, i could always pair it with an Audio 10 if necessary.

I do really like the clean look of the 42/43 though.

Xone 43
    Audio 10
    4 traktor decks
    Maschine on mic/aux channel
    Rmx500 on send/return

Would I miss that extra s/r channel for Ableton effects though...

Tech Mentor

Some of those are decisions you have to make for yourself.

I wouldn't recommend pioneer effects units with xone mixers (have a google to find out more).

I cannot comment on the long term support for the 4D, perhaps contact allen & heath. If the midi is class compliant it should always work.
    Remember you don't have to update the OS, if your performing live, software updates should be well tested to ensure stability, so holding back is often advised.
    Last edited by rob2192; 12-19-2015 at 09:49 AM.

I have a 62 with identical setup. The only thing I'd update from this mixer is the 92. I reviewed the 43C for DJWORX. The AUX channel is capable for passing Maschine into, but isn't a standard mixer channel so doesn't have the EQs.
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Tech Wizard

Quick update.

Went with the Xone 43. Happy with everything except the send/return. Only tried the Traktor effects (in send mode) and it worked terribly. Phasing between full dry and full wet and a big drop in volume on full wet. Would imagine this would be the same with a pioneer effects unit.

Probably returning the mixer this week, which is a real shame as the build and sound quality were great.

New shortlist:
    Pioneer DJM 750 (will have to sacrifice a channel for maschine)
    Xone DB2 (the effects just look boring to use in comparison to the more playable EFX1000)
    Reloop RMX 80

Anyone got any experience with the Reloop? Looks like it has everything that I need but ithe quality as bad as I expect? (I started on a Reloop midi controller a few years ago...dreadful build quality)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast