Clarification - How to stop Traktor from automatically tagging key?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Clarification - How to stop Traktor from automatically tagging key?

I haven't been with Traktor for awhile and I'm trying to catch up on their whole key implementation again. How do I get it to stop automatically tagging key on analysis? I went and batch analyzed my entire library just now with all analysis options unticked and was kind of horrified to realize that all my files have been automagically retagged from Camelot to Open Key. All my key tags are also stored in my comments tag (along with some organization notes) so it's ok, just pissed me off a bit. Did they ever issue a fix for this? Browsing through a few forum threads showed me that this was an issue before, but I can't figure out whether NI ever fixed the thing.

If memory serves, it will force the change to open key no matter what you do, but if you disabled analysis, then it didn't re-analyze using the shite Traktor key detection... but it's been a while since I've been there.

Quote Originally Posted by deathy View Post
    If memory serves, it will force the change to open key no matter what you do, but if you disabled analysis, then it didn't re-analyze using the shite Traktor key detection... but it's been a while since I've been there.
    If that's true, he'll have to re-organize his prepping order - an it sucks if Traktor is not the last software you import the files
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Yeah, it still sucks... but believe me, it's better than Traktor's key detection being forced on you.

Yeah, for us non-musicians: Camelot >>>> Open key/etc.
    If for nothing else the ability to sort by camelot keys in order.
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

The only difference between Camelot and Open Key is the orientation of the clock face and A/B or d/m... not a big deal. Honestly, so long as you are consistent in which you use, it doesn't matter at all - they both mean exactly the same thing.

I honestly prefer Open Key because I find the Camelot Wheel to be something that shouldn't be copyrightable/trademarkable... it's a simple concept that's based on the Circle of Fifths, all they did was change the labels. As a software dev, if I were to use Camelot in anything I make that is available for public consumption, I would have to pay a licensing fee - just to have C major at 8 instead of 1 (and, I will be perfectly honest with you, musically speaking C major belongs at 1 or 12, not 8. 8 is not a logical place to put the "perfect" key).

Fair disclosure, I have a beef with the Mixed in Key company (though at this time, I do use their software) - I do not like supporting bad DRM, and MiK uses "always connected" DRM, which particularly pisses me off. One of my secondary projects, after Synner3, is a FOSS MiK replacement with comparable success rates using an audio AI I'm developing. I have the capacity to punish bad DRM, so I intend to.

So... ultimately, the Camelot wheel supports bad Intellectual Property laws and bad DRM... two things that I have pretty serious beef with.

File management settings -> change how key is displayed
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Wizard

I'm wondering how Serato got around it. The way 1.8 implements key detection is they tag with respect to classical key, but you can select display as Camelot in options. Virtually similar if not better to MIK.

I run MIK before I stick things in Traktor anyhow, it just makes it totally incompatible to have a Traktor setup and a Serato setup simultaneously. Since the display fields are unchangeable in SDJ, Traktor has effectively forced the display of Open key in the Key section, which is honestly bs if it's intentional.

Serato paid the licensing fee is how they did.

Do you have any coding skills? This is a really simple problem that a tiny script could fix, something that just scans over your collection real quick checking the INITIALKEY tag, and if it ends in a "d" or an "m", then take the number, subtract 7, and then replace the "d" or "m" with "B" or "A."

I could throw something together for you that could do it, but as we don't actually know each other at all, you would be well right to not trust a chunk of custom code from an unknown source.

Quote Originally Posted by ablahblah View Post
    I'm wondering how Serato got around it. The way 1.8 implements key detection is they tag with respect to classical key, but you can select display as Camelot in options. Virtually similar if not better to MIK.

I run MIK before I stick things in Traktor anyhow, it just makes it totally incompatible to have a Traktor setup and a Serato setup simultaneously. Since the display fields are unchangeable in SDJ, Traktor has effectively forced the display of Open key in the Key section, which is honestly bs if it's intentional.
    You guys do not know Traktor very well. YOu can change it.

- Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast