House party question
    Tech Wizard

Default House party question

I had a house party on Friday quite a lot of people were there so lots of people talking. I was playing music and they kept asking me to turn it up it was quite loud as it was. I did not want to go any louder cause it would piss off my neighbours. What would u do ? . Could I get a wireless speaker for the bk of the room as an extra so people can hear it better. At the moment I have pioneers dj08 speakers. The problem is i live in a flat and i have 4 other neighbours on my floor

Inviting your neighbors to the party wasn't an option?

In my experience you have to keep a few things in mind*:

1)Let them know first: Tell them that this is happening and they're invited to come hang out. This will make them feel like they're wanted to attend, and it gives them prior notice. We did a few house shows with bands doing this and it gave the neighbor (in the same building) plenty of time to mentally prepare, spend a night at her boyfriend's, go out, etc. If there is any sort of cover, let them be a VIP and get in for free because to some extent you're messing with their (sonic) space.

2)Keep doors closed, and keep the party isolated: This one is harder because people often will be coming and going to have a smoke, get more beer, generally be hooligans. Try as much as you can to keep windows and doors closed so sound doesn't bleed out. A good fan will always come in handy unless you want to have a sweaty frat rave (which is a whole other beast).

3)Be prepared for a noise complaint: Once I was DJing a party at someone's house and we asked him how loud it could get. His words were "I'm trying to get a noise complaint tonight." Generally speaking, when this happens police tend to give a warning first and on second arrival issue a ticket. It's not worth getting a ticket for a noise complaint. Especially since that could be considered a breach of the lease if you're renting.

4)Screw 'em: Sometimes your neighbors will get it and just go about their lives and try to ignore you. As long as you don't things like this consistently, it probably won't bother them too much. If you're lucky maybe they'll be having a rowdy night too and come on over and join in.

*All of these come from a college town for one of the bigger party schools in the States, so take this with a grain of salt

Dont put speaker sin the back and face them forward. You will fuck up the stereo field.

Stop deejaying to a crowd with your studio monitors. You are gonna wear out your driversoverdriving them constantly at high volume.

Get 4 cheap stage monitors. Arrange them like so:

- Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Mentor

if money isn't an issue, attempt to get some bass traps.

your neighbors are probably watching their cups rattle off their coasters in the living room. its a physical inconvenience paired with a noise issue.
    Technics 1210 / Pioneer plx 1000 / Xone 42 / Adam a3x / UA apollo twin / Maschine mikro / Ableton live 9 / Maschine 2 / MBP Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015

Tech Wizard

thanks for the advice so i think i should get a set of small pa speakers just to bring out at partys then