Beginner production on a tight budget
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Student

Default Beginner production on a tight budget

First of all I'd like to say hey to everyone! - my first post lol!

I have some questions regarding beginner production and then specifically beginner production on a tight budget. I'm currently in med school, so I don't have much free time or money but when I do I usually spend it either playing games (free games lol whatup heroes of the storm!), or seeing music / mustering the effort to try and produce.

I've made this jump a few times, every time with renewed energy that I'm gonna do it, and do it right! In the past I've used cracked copies of DAWs and vst plugins - but doing this basically was a tsunami of information, most of which I didn't understand because I didn't start with the basics. Last year I decided to go legit, I was given a free copy of Live Lite 9 and at one point had purchased CE Elements 7.

I understand the basics of each of the two, and have gotten as far as laying out some beats, and messing with synths etc. The problem that I had back then, and is the problem that I'm finding myself in today, is that the free syths / samples etc are pretty bland. Combine that with being limited by the selection of instruments in my legit copy of live lite and the inability to use Halion Sonic SE (yes i'm running both 64bit versions, running as admin, and placed the .dll in the appropriate folder) through ableton aaaaaaaaaaand not being able to purchase vst instruments designed to do what i'm looking to do in terms of electro / trance sound (either with presets or learning to create the sounds on my own)....I once again hit a wall. But at least this time I've recognized what it is. In the past i've tried to continue, using what was available trying to make it part of the learning process but it ends up being a huge stretch and disappointment because I can't for lack of a better term - pull out whats in my head. I've watched tutorials and such on youtube (but you need the tools they're using)....I've done all I can think of at this point and once again i'm stuck being frustrated...

My question to you guys since i'm obviously not the only one ever to have begun producing on a budget (or lack there of) - What should I look to do? what are some tips / tools that I could find or pick up? I've done the whole free sample pack thing, and after hours of weeding through I found most of that to be junk. Same thing with some of the "top vst of this year" yada yada stuff. None of that explains remotely how the vst works, and then the packaged presets are usually arpeggiated junk that would never work when you're trying to lay out a bass line or a plucked lead etc.

Ugh sorry now I'm just venting, but I hope you get my meaning here. So I would be forever appreciative - lol - if anyone out there could help steer me on the right path.

thanks very much in advance!!!

a very frustrated Kyle

I've been producing music for about ten years on and off. When I started, the music I created wasn't very good. It still isn't. To my credit, I enjoy making music, and talking about making music.

I suppose the only advice I can give is to enjoy the process. Keep experimenting with new methods - but give each of them a proper go before moving on. (I have a feeling that more inspired or experienced producers could get pleasing results from the synths and samples you have seemed very quick to discard.)

Some methods I've enjoyed over the years:
    - making a whole song just using soft synths.
    - making a whole song just using random noises you recorded on your phone or laptop
    - taking loops from old music and stick beats on top of them.
    - re-make a song you like as close to identical as you can make it.

http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=86308

I gave away a few hand made sample packs there if you wanna download them. Also put together a beefy one in the buy/sell for like $5 if you want to make the jump.

Anywho, now that I got my shameless self promotion out of the way lol... Look up U-He Zebralette.. It's a dope little synth that's a little brother to a monster synth. Also, check out the line of TAL instruments and effects... I heard the TAL bassline is actually rather decent.

If you have something you want to do but don't know how to do it.. Google it. Simple. Don't waste time.

Also, since you're a student, I'm pretty sure you can upgrade to Live Standard for a pretty good price if you ever wanted to make the jump.

u-he has a number of free synth options for most of their major synths. Synth1 is a great free synth, as is a lot of the TAL stuff. Klanghelm also gives away freebies for their compressors/saturation, although the full-priced versions are much more functional and dirt cheap as well. SKNote has some great cheap plugs as well as Stillwell. Acon Digital's Mutliply is a nice, freebie chorus. Music Radar has a number of free sample packs you can check out and use, and Wave Alchemy gives away a lot of freebie sample packs as ways to get you to buy their full blown versions.

Those things along with the built-in's from Live Lite should get you started. You don't need to have the biggest and best to get started...just learn what you're doing to start, and you can do that with what you've got and some of the freebies mentioned.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by gangstapantz View Post
    not being able to purchase vst instruments designed to do what i'm looking to do in terms of electro / trance sound (either with presets or learning to create the sounds on my own)
    The problem is that no one have ever made, or will ever make the "gangstapantz" synth. You know, the one that makes the sounds that are in your head already. So, you have permission to stop looking for it.

Quote Originally Posted by gangstapantz View Post
    What should I look to do? what are some tips / tools that I could find or pick up?
    Three things:

First, focus on the composition, arrangement, and song writing. The overwhelming majority of people who sit down at Ableton never even get that far. The details of how it sounds and the mastering can wait. It is trivial to change the way MIDI notes sound AFTER you have the arrangement of those notes to something that you like.

Second, understand that composing and arranging music is hard. Really hard. The vast majority of compositions suck. That you think your own work sucks represents two things: your taste exceeds your ability (this can take a REALLY long time to overcome), and you actually suck (not to worry, I suck too and so do lots of other people).

Third, you still have only the barest fraction of an investment in tools. I would take a BIG step backwards and really look at the tools that are available. Starting with a DAW and a blank page is hard. When I want to be creative NOW and have something I could actually listen to again, I go for Maschine over Ableton every time. The NI expansions and synths are not free, but they are inexpensive in terms of quality. Based on what you have described in terms of budget, money, attention, and desired results - stretching to get a Maschine Mk 1 or Mk2 and using that as a creative outlet might be a better option for you until you get out of school.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Tech Mentor

It is a huge misconception by beginners that they are limited by their budget! It's just not true that you can not make a radio banger without a huge budget. In fact I'm sure you can make a radio hit without having spent more than $100 in total (excl. only your PC). All you need is a DAW (Reaper is among the best and cheapest, but there are others too), a pair of decent headphones (Superlux HD-668 can get you there), some free VSTs (just google that and you'll get tons, but don't download them all, understand what you need and why you need it) and a lot of time and knowledge.

I'm not saying that commercial DAWs, VSTs, mics, samples etc are useless or not worth their money at all. But I DO say that you don't need them to learn how to write and produce top line music!

Talking Total Beginner over here!

Hi there! I'm a total beginner as well, with just my laptop on Ableton and a pair of headphones.

I think at the beginning, instead of diving into getting the best VSTs to work with to produce the same sound as your favourite DJ, it's worth investing in a structured course teaching you the basics of music production. I've signed up for courses on Udemy and it has really helped me on how to manage my work flow and also kickstarting my journey as an amateur producer.

If your serious about it and want to make a living and its your passion then my suggestion is to graft as much as you can, save up until you can purchase Logic etc. then just hibernate for a year, knowing the ins and outs, then start making some good music.

Default Beginner Gear

Hey man! If you are looking for a gear on a low budget, I created a blog talking a little about my beginning gear.
    I may have upgraded my gear since then, but it still might be useful info.

Check it out here: https://techreviews4youblog.wordpress.com/

If you're really broke try learning reaper and the multitude of free plugins and tutorial videos out there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast