Technics 1200 static problem, slipmats sticking to vinyl
    Tech Wizard

Default Technics 1200 static problem, slipmats sticking to vinyl

About half a year ago, I bought Technics 1200 set. They needed a bit of tender, love and care but overall were in good shape. Replaced the cartridges and rca cables, and did some small other things. When I replaced the RCA's, I also did the self-grounding mod. They work absolutely perfect, no hum whatsoever. Just a tiny little static when there's no record playing. Couldn't be more happier!

But since the moment I bought them, I have this annoying little problem. The slipmats tend to get static and stick to my records when I remove them from the platter. And my records get static as well, so they gather dust like crazy.. I have the feeling it could be a grounding issue. I use a Xone 22 mixer connected to a pair of Yamaha HS80 speakers via XLR. My Xone doesn't have an grounded power cord, but the Yamaha speakers do. But my power outlet at home isn't grounded unfortunately.

Is this normal? And if not, what can I do about it? Maybe reattach the grounding cable and ground the hole lot to something in my home?

Thanks for your help guys! :-)

Try different slipmats.

Try putting some plastic beneath your slipmats. You've probably got some plastic innner sleeves from a record that you could cut to fit.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Try different slipmats.

Try putting some plastic beneath your slipmats. You've probably got some plastic innner sleeves from a record that you could cut to fit.
    Cool, I'll try the plastic inner sleeves tonight. If I want to try other slipmits, do you recommend a specific type? At the moment I have those felt ones with the Technics logo.

Yes - anything BUT the ones you have! They're quite rigid/dense and hard.

Pretty much any slipmats are better than those.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Get sicmats. They are cheap and decent.

There are two causes. One is bad grounding in your own, the other is static transfer from yourself (usually from your clothes if you dont use dryer sheets) to the record.

Dont use plastic underneath your slipmats! You will actually increase the amount of static buildup that way (Different types of plastic generate static electricity when rubbed against felt, but not all).

Go to your local grocery, get wax paper and painters (making) tape. Use the slipmat as a guide to cut your wax paper into a circle, place a piece of masking tape in the center, poke a hole for your spindle, and place under slipmat. You now have a suplly of 100 butter rugs for 2 dollars.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Quote Originally Posted by the_bastet View Post
    Get sicmats. They are cheap and decent.

There are two causes. One is bad grounding in your own, the other is static transfer from yourself (usually from your clothes if you dont use dryer sheets) to the record.

Dont use plastic underneath your slipmats! You will actually increase the amount of static buildup that way (Different types of plastic generate static electricity when rubbed against felt, but not all).

Go to your local grocery, get wax paper and painters (making) tape. Use the slipmat as a guide to cut your wax paper into a circle, place a piece of masking tape in the center, poke a hole for your spindle, and place under slipmat. You now have a suplly of 100 butter rugs for 2 dollars.
    wax paper is such a tried tested and true technique haha those sicmats are great too, i use them

Tech Wizard

Thanks guys for all your replies. The inner sleeves didn't help much though. But I'll be ordering some sicmats for christmass

cutting some baking paper to size can also help but can make it a little too slippy for picking up the record, depends what sort of feel you are after but might work for you