Macbook, Enough OOMF?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Macbook, Enough OOMF?

Hey guys,

I'm getting one of the brand new base model MacBooks!

2.26 GH Intel Core 2 Duo
    2gb DDR3 RAM
    250GB HD

I was going to upgrade RAM to 4gb and HD to 500GB but I had a look at the system requirements of Traktor Pro and it says you only need 1GB Ram and a 1.66 GH Processor!

Does anyone have any first hand experience as to whether those stated System Requirements are a MARGINAL MINIMUM or NORMAL EFFICIENCY?

Will the new base model macbooks be powerful enough if I keep it free of SH_T? Even though it's a Mac I won't be installing cracked programs like my mac mini is full of now! ; )

IF you read this Bento, I'm going to get it from StoreDJ in Brisbane cause they do Certegy Ezi Pay with no interest so I'll get a case and Digital DJ bag while I'm at it! You know much bout Certegy man?

THANKS GUYS! :eek:
    MixCloud

Mac Mini w/2GB Ram + Traktor 1.2 + BCD3000 + 61 Midi Keyboard + Samson Q1U

Tech Guru

That should be fine for Traktor Pro man. I was running some shitty old skool PC with 1.6 (might have even been 1.5) processor and 1g ram, and it gave me no problems what so ever. I've upgraded to Macbook 2.4 with 4 gig ram. Runs so smooth! The model you've listed should be easily powerful enough. If you've got the option to upgrade to 4gig ram then do it. In the UK it's pretty cheap to get ram upgrades. I know electronic shit costs more in Oz but if the option is there then why not. Otherwise 2gig ram will do the job.
    I used to run logic pro on a 1.67 powerbook with 1gig ram and it would only really slow down when I had bigger sessions open with loads of plug ins.

Default Re: Macbook, Enough OOMF?

I run a mbp 2.4ghz w/ 2gb ram and am running just fine!
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

yeah... I have 2gb of RAM on my macbook pro and i run traktor just fine...

Tech Mentor

I run a early 09 white macbook C2d 2 ghz / 2 gigs of ram / 120 hd

Traktor pro / SSL / Torq / Logic all run fine

Ableton 8 runs fine to but its abit laggy on the interface

I def am looking to upgrade the ram to 4 gigs though and my hd to a 500 gig 7k drive ( hate using ext hds on macs NOT enough usb ports !! )

2Gbs should even be enough to run Traktor Scratch Pro.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Mentor

You can always upgrade later if RAM and HD are not enough. These days it's pretty easy to do it yourself, and you do not void the warranty.

Also prices of RAM and HD from Apple are overpriced.

I upgraded myself the 120gb/5400rpm HD to a 320Gb/7200rpm myself, and also put 4 Gb of RAM at a fraction of the price from Apple. But in the older MBP which you have to open completely to change the drive.

Check ifixit for guides on how to open any laptop from apple and change any component.

Ok Thanks everyone for all the replys! Because I'm just starting out the money I'd spend on Ram and Harddrive I could get the Audio 2 dj and plus the more I deck it out, more money spent on it, the more padantic I'm going to be with it! As long as it does what I want which is run Traktor Pro without a problem then that's awesome!

Thanks again guys! Down the track I might end up upgrading the Ram and HD! I only got 50GB music atm so I don't really NEED a bigger harddrive and I won't be running Ableton or anything like that, maybe GarageBand, that's all!

MixCloud

Mac Mini w/2GB Ram + Traktor 1.2 + BCD3000 + 61 Midi Keyboard + Samson Q1U

Tech Guru

If you upgrade the ram it is recommended (even mac say so too) that you use either Kingston or Crucial.

Tech Mentor

You might want a HD with a faster access speed for loading your collection at startup and such, but you should be fine on the processor + ram.

I run Traktor on my netbook,and it works without a hiccup.
    I'm not good at things, but I like to pretend I am.
    :Project-Segfault:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast