Organizing the good ol' vinyl collection

Default Organizing the good ol' vinyl collection

So guys, one of the big questions in life. How do you guys sort your collections? So far, I'm too lazy to sort mine, but I really have to at some point. The old "I sort of know where on the shelf or in which stack on the ground the record could be" method gets kind of annoying. Talking about organization within a reasonably defined genre.
    I'll certainly sort by label (seems most intuitive to me - or to the way my memory works), but how do I sort the labels. Thought about sorting by country, which still seems a good idea overall, but not really perfect.

So, give me your two cents, I'm sure someone among you must have some kind of order in their collection.
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

I have all my records tracked on discogs and have setup a number of different genre labels. So, I have stuff like disco house, emotional deep house, hard house, hard techno, melodic techno, etc. And I try to keep all my records sorted that way as well.

Unfortunately when I moved, my records got a bit mixed up, so I now have the big process of physically organizing them, and I've been too lazy. It's actually kind of nice, because when I'm in the mood to mix, I grab a stack of records that may have something in them that I wouldn't have previously combined.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

For me, it USED TO BE, alphabetically by Artist (and then alphabetically by track within artist).
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

I keep my vinyl organization very simple.

Grouped by host genre
    Arranged in alphabetical order by artist.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Mentor

Add them to my discogs collection then on the shelf by year and my own personal hardness rating generally getting harder from left to right.

Tech Guru

I gave up trying to categorise the line between techno and house, so I gave up. Now i just think of it as a spectrum, if its housier it goes on the top shelf, if its techier it goes on the bottom shelf.

This way its easy to change the categorisation if the way i feel about the track changes.

I organised it by genre, then label name, and then each label collection into date order (newest at the back). A lot of people had portfolios of various labels work and arranging them chronologically made more sense. Also, a lot of house and trance in the mid to late 90's was almost the same speed so I never really bothered making genre sections out of my "club" stuff and stuck to label/date order only.
    Live rig: Denon Prime (5000M's)
    Retired: Denon x1700, Denon SC3900's, Traktor, Technics SL1200's, my vinyl
    Wish list: Some Roland Aira stuff.