Modding my Novation for 4 deck use!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Modding my Novation for 4 deck use!

So...

I would like to mod my novation...

I started making a layout in photoshop... i would like some input as far as what features i would need to make it more user friendly...

I use now for 2 deck and i still have some left over buttons that i dont even use!

Tech Mentor

Oh also forgot to ask how hard would it be to put arcade buttons instead of the keys... Its a remote 25 sl... i plan on making a box to extend where the keys would be so it looks like its one unit... kind of like in the picture... also want to add a pot for the brower list and another button for the shift button!

Tech Mentor

some advice, help or even some constructive criticism would help!

I understand the want for arcade buttons, but couldn't all of this functionallity be mapped to the controller as it is anyway? If it were me, I would map all the functionallity to the controller as it is.

13" MacBook Pro 2.7 i7 w/dual Raid0 OWC SSDs - S4 - Ableton Live 8- Lemur- iPad 2

Tech Mentor

it could... the layout of the keys is very uncomfortable that's the only thing... the rest yes peace of cake. I also wanted to use the left over functions for the keys for another knob etc... Im just wondering what would be involved in using the arcade buttons in place of the keys etc.... what kind of soldering... do i need a diff board with an extra usb cable can i use the existing board since there are 25 functions that wont be used etc...

Adding arcade buttons is easy, underneath the keys there will be a simple rubber conductive pad just like on a gamepad, and under that will be the contacts printed onto the PCB, there will be two per key if it is velocity sensitive, the contacts are coated in a conductive layer, scrape this layer away with a sharp razor blade untill the copper underneath is shiny, then simply solder two wires to the contacts, one on either side, and then solder those wires to the buttons.

Tech Mentor

can those contacts be used for a couple potentiometers? or only button functionality?

Only buttons, they will be a digital input and won't be running through the ADC of the micro, but you could use two of them and hook up a rotary encoder.

Tech Mentor

i will be using 16 arcade buttons... so that means i will have 9 contacts left... use two of them for the rotary encoder and another for a master shift button means i will have 6 contacts left....

Im getting super excited about this now...

Tech Mentor

updated mapping... still have quite a bit of left over functions... cant really think of what else i would need...? since i will be having an external mixer to go along...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast