DJIng Abroad

Thread: DJIng Abroad

Tech Mentor

Default DJIng Abroad

Right guys I'm in a predicement....

I have been offered to DJ in Greece for 6 months this summer!

Fantastic opportunity but i have good regular spots in my hometown and surrounding areas which I'm finding hard to let go of.

I mean greece would be a blast Sub,woman,booze etc etc but its only a small club and ill be DJing every night.

If its busy it would be amazing and such a laugh/exsperience, but leaving good clubs for this??

What does every think? Cheers guys!!

Hrm... I would certainly be reticent to give up my long term relationships for a temporary gig. If it were Ibiza, I might do it just because (not that I am a fan), being able to put "Residency in Ibiza, Apr-Sep 2016" would look good on your marketing materials... but that would probably be the exception for me.

That said, have you discussed it with your local venues to see how much impact this might really have for you?

Tech Mentor

Go for it. Greek are friendly and lively people. Have never seen as many pretty girls as in this area (Piraeus) ;-)
    Great mediterreanian culture. And you will get back to your familiar surrounding anyway, you will see how much you love it when you miss it, but you will not regret it because you will have gained more experience, the DJ experience will only be a small part of it. Don't miss out such a chance, unless your stay at your home is essential regarding your personal life.

Go enjoy the experience bruv. One more think to put in your EPK and have fun while youre at it.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Mentor

Yeah it would be great, its just the money aswell. I get £150 a night here in my hometown, 2 times a week over in Greece ill only be getting £30 a night, 7 nights a week!

Such a drastic money change, its about the experience swell though!

Tech Wizard

kinda cookbook:

1 - factoids
    a) what are your fixtures at home? Anything you have to pay even if you're abroad. rent, insurances, etc
    b) do they provide you with lodging and food or do you have to pay for eat, sleep by yourself?
    c) can cover all costs (home and greece) with £210 per month ?

2 - Then I would ask myself these questions:
    * how likely will I loose (how much) money?
    * next year this time of the year: what will be different?
    * what else would/could I loose?
    * why bother about loosing stuff?

3 - decide, tell your wife/family but noone else

4 - sleep over it

5 - decide again (at least that's how I do this for the bigger thingys

FORGET GREECE:
    Greece is financially dead, as the Hotels don't even have Money to pay for Food on the buffets the tourists stay away....then imagine once you are there if they haven't Money to pay you???

Are they covering your travel costs???

As you say yourself it's 150 Vs 30...Then if you Play with the idea to get discovered and that it will push your DJ career...Forget it you told yourself it is a small Club. Try to get more than 2 gigs a week back Home...

Then will 210 bucks a week be enough for living there and cover your costs...I sincerly doubt because if it is a touristic place the rent for flats would be expensive as well, or you share an appartment with 3-4 others and then it will fast turn out as a mess because all this guys gonna be in a same Situation than you and will work 7days a week...then working 7 days a week for 6 month fast gets boring even if Djing is your Passion...don't get burned out!!!

If you decide to go either, then be Aware of some things:
    - You got a fast Internet Connection 'cause you gonna Need New Sound while there and Need to download it.
    - ask to be paid in advance (as I said the Country is down)
    - Make a serious contract with a "Get out of that shit" possibility (What happens if after 3 weeks you get enough of that shit...always regulate a Plan B)
    - Maybe it is better not to work in 1 and only Club during your stay but trying to get a second address maybe making 3 night on one place and 4 in the other (Never put all your eggs in the same nest)

Nevermind...Whatever you decide there's only 1 Person you can take this decision: YOU so whatever you decide I wish you to be happy with the decision and as Oasis said whaterver happens "Don't look back in Anger"

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Nawlins View Post
    FORGET GREECE:
    Greece is financially dead, as the Hotels don't even have Money to pay for Food on the buffets the tourists stay away....then imagine once you are there if they haven't Money to pay you???

Are they covering your travel costs???

As you say yourself it's 150 Vs 30...Then if you Play with the idea to get discovered and that it will push your DJ career...Forget it you told yourself it is a small Club. Try to get more than 2 gigs a week back Home...

Then will 210 bucks a week be enough for living there and cover your costs...I sincerly doubt because if it is a touristic place the rent for flats would be expensive as well, or you share an appartment with 3-4 others and then it will fast turn out as a mess because all this guys gonna be in a same Situation than you and will work 7days a week...then working 7 days a week for 6 month fast gets boring even if Djing is your Passion...don't get burned out!!!

If you decide to go either, then be Aware of some things:
    - You got a fast Internet Connection 'cause you gonna Need New Sound while there and Need to download it.
    - ask to be paid in advance (as I said the Country is down)
    - Make a serious contract with a "Get out of that shit" possibility (What happens if after 3 weeks you get enough of that shit...always regulate a Plan B)
    - Maybe it is better not to work in 1 and only Club during your stay but trying to get a second address maybe making 3 night on one place and 4 in the other (Never put all your eggs in the same nest)

Nevermind...Whatever you decide there's only 1 Person you can take this decision: YOU so whatever you decide I wish you to be happy with the decision and as Oasis said whaterver happens "Don't look back in Anger"

Yeah the one is shocking, but i guess its about the exspwrience. Being in the sun for 6 months, all the girls and people i would meet etc. Plus in the busy season it will be rammed not stop for months. Which would make everything worth it!

Trust me its so hard to do it, but i didn't get last year so really want to this year!

Macco - It sounds like you know what you want to do, so you should definitely do it. It may not work out for the best (though I am not saying this is a certainty, mind), but it will be an experience you'll savor for the rest of your life.

If its during the summer there should still be turist filling up for the bad economy. I work at the capital airport in Sweden during the summers and we still have a steady stream of people leaving for Greece. Where in Greece is it? Make sure its one of the frequented islands and that it really is a club and not a bar.
    -------------------------
    2x Technics 1200 mk5, Ecler nuo 3.0.