iPad mini 4th gen midi/ audio in/out??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default iPad mini 4th gen midi/ audio in/out??

Hello all,

I'm getting a little confused as to which cable to buy that allows midi in out of my iPad mini? To allow control of GarageBand etc.

Not sure if what is used also deals with audio?

Any help suggestions on this matter much appreciated.

Thank you,

PushA

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Lightning > USB Camera Connection Kit

Note 1: ONLY the official Apple one !

Note 2: Most Midi/Audio Interfaces will also require the use of a powered USB hub as the ipad cannot output enough power for most soundcards or midi devices.

Note 3: Only interfaces that do not normally require driver on a mac will work (core audio / core midi)

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD...camera-adapter

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    Lightning > USB Camera Connection Kit

Note 1: ONLY the official Apple one !

Note 2: Most Midi/Audio Interfaces will also require the use of a powered USB hub as the ipad cannot output enough power for most soundcards or midi devices.

Note 3: Only interfaces that do not normally require driver on a mac will work (core audio / core midi)

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD...camera-adapter
    Thanks for speedy reply on this. The "camera" lab led cable added to my confusion. Can I also use this cable for input audio? I currently been doing this with cheap irig type adapter which does ok.

I plan to try and use it with ableton push if not then a little akaimpk controller keyboard. Push powers itself. I also have I think a powered hub via my akai iee pro interface.

Do you think this might be good?

Thanks for your time.

PushA

Thanks for speedy reply on this. The "camera" lab led cable added to my confusion. Can I also use this cable for input audio?
    Yes, with a powered hub you can run as many in's and outs as your soundcard can handle.

I currently been doing this with cheap irig type adapter which does ok.
    I guess, but dont really get what you mean.

I plan to try and use it with ableton push if not then a little akaimpk controller keyboard.
    Both should work fine with a powered hub so long as they are core midi.

Push powers itself.
    You would think, however many devices require 500ma from the USB port, even when powered via their own power source, this was the case for both my APC 40, MPK and VCI which is why a powered hub is nessesary for most devices to work on iOS

I also have I think a powered hub via my akai iee pro interface.
    As above, will probably not work as the interface will still draw 500ma power for the sound card prior to splitting off ports to the hub, you'll need to try it, but I doubt it will work as a hub.

Hope this helps

Tech Wizard

Yes, with a powered hub you can run as many in's and outs as your soundcard can handle.

I guess, but dont really get what you mean.

Both should work fine with a powered hub so long as they are core midi.

You would think, however many devices require 500ma from the USB port, even when powered via their own power source, this was the case for both my APC 40, MPK and VCI which is why a powered hub is nessesary for most devices to work on iOS

As above, will probably not work as the interface will still draw 500ma power for the sound card prior to splitting off ports to the hub, you'll need to try it, but I doubt it will work as a hub.

Hope this helps
    Yes! All helps thanks.

Regarding irig type interface/cable I have used this to record audio from my korg volca direct to audio (wav) to say GarageBand etc. Works well.

The able ton push and akai iee pro I already have so nothing wasted if they do not work. So I start with the cable that you pointed as a starter. Hopefully can get one tomorrow and I will update here asap to let you know.

I have just thought though. I got a cable that connects my traktor s4 to traktordj on my iPad. I may try to connect other devices to that see what happens.

Anyway,

Thank you very much for the replies to this post and helpful suggestions. Look out for update!

Cheers,

PushA

Seriously, get a powered hub, they are only about $10 and all your gear will work

Tech Wizard

Seriously, get a powered hub, they are only about $10 and all your gear will work
    Yes! Noted! Thanks again. 🤓

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by PushA View Post
    Yes! Noted! Thanks again. 🤓
    Have got cable from Apple 🤓 I am not sure how to connect to powered Usb hub! Any help on this matter appreciated.

In meantime I was using a cheap power sub Hub that connected to phone via lightning cable and offered 3xusb and card reader. I'm unsure of how the next power hub I want to buy connects to phone!

Cheers,

Tech Wizard

I have got the apple cable! I can't see how I will plug into a powered hub. Would I just plug to usb on the hub? I bought a £6.99 powered adapter that plugs lightning cable straight phone. Works fine but I would rather use official Apple cable. What to look for in power hub?

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by PushA View Post
    I have got the apple cable! I can't see how I will plug into a powered hub. Would I just plug to usb on the hub?
    Yes

I bought a £6.99 powered adapter that plugs lightning cable straight phone. Works fine but I would rather use official Apple cable.
    Huh ?? No idea what you are talking about to be honest what 6.99 power adaptor ?

What to look for in power hub?
    Decent brand and powered, thats all, any that have an external power adaptor should work fine.

This is how you set it up, simples

NOTE: You cannot charge the ipad when using it with midi devices, however I get about 8 hours play time from Djay on a single charge.
    Last edited by deevey; 01-24-2016 at 11:21 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast