Realistically, Consistently Mixing Songs of Differing BPMs?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    2

    Default Realistically, Consistently Mixing Songs of Differing BPMs?

    Hey guys, quick question.

    Does anyone have any resources on how to mix songs of different BPMs? I've seen this video:

    and this video:

    And while both are good, none of these techniques really seem realistic. If I'm playing live, the crowd is going to get really, really tired of these transitions after the 3rd time you use the echo freeze effect, or the "start-stop" idea in the first video. I've played a few highschool dances (sounds lame I know), and it's really fun when you mix in trap/bigroom stuff with pop, however all three of these styles rarely have similar BPMs, so it's not really possible to do a "normal" crossfade technique, which resulted in a show of almost nothing but "start-stop" and drop-switching. It was horrible

    So, how does one smoothly transition between two differing BPMs, in a way that doesn't irritate the crowd?
    Last edited by Melody; 01-19-2016 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Wrong video

  2. #2
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    111

    Default

    Honestly the second video has helped me a lot when I'm mixing through genres and different BPMs. Typically I start at low BPM like 80 or perhaps at 120 and just build from there. When I get to about 150-160 BPM I mix songs with 75-80 BPM and start all over again, but obviously this takes hours and not done in 20 minutes. I do this with tons of genres like for example merengue is around the same BPM as some trap/rap songs, then some hip hop songs mix well with cumbia and vice versa. I'm currently working on dropping songs in on the one and cut mixing but that takes more practice and can be used when you are making a bigger jump in BPM quickly.

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ollin View Post
    Honestly the second video has helped me a lot when I'm mixing through genres and different BPMs. Typically I start at low BPM like 80 or perhaps at 120 and just build from there. When I get to about 150-160 BPM I mix songs with 75-80 BPM and start all over again, but obviously this takes hours and not done in 20 minutes. I do this with tons of genres like for example merengue is around the same BPM as some trap/rap songs, then some hip hop songs mix well with cumbia and vice versa. I'm currently working on dropping songs in on the one and cut mixing but that takes more practice and can be used when you are making a bigger jump in BPM quickly.
    My issue is, first, I don't even use traktor, and also that video is basically "How to change BPMs by using the Echo Freeze effect". I mean, one part it talks about halving the BPMs, which is neat I guess, but it doesn't talk about how to go from 80BPM, to 140BPM.

  4. #4
    Tech Mentor souldancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Curacao
    Posts
    448

    Default

    some examples i use: You can mix a 120 bpm song with a 60 bpm song (etc).

    Become a member of a dj pool and get some transitions edits.

    other method is using the sync button with dj software and use a loop from the song your mixing in and loop the other song and slowly (or sometimes fast) increase or decrease the loops in bpm.

    Get two of the same songs one slow version and the other a fast version easiest way to use a loop again with the incoming song and decrease or increase the bpm. easiest way is to use the sync.

    But most i use is slowly increase and decrease bpm speed 80 to 90, 90 to 100 etc during the song increase or decrease the tempo. Using loops is the easiest way, and Keep the echo freeze as a last resort for fuck ups.

    Or trick your software when a song is actually 75 bpm reanalyze the bpm with traktor for example with the 78 - 155 bpm range now it will double your speed to 150 and you can mix it easy with a faster song.

    All by all its trial and error see what works for you.
    Last edited by souldancer; 01-20-2016 at 12:10 AM.
    http://soundcloud.com/thom-b/
    2011-04-14-the-corners-of-my

    KONTROL S8, 2x KONTROL D2, XONE DB4, traktor audio 10, kontrol x1, pioneer hdj 2000, software traktor scratch pro 2 & ableton suite 9

  5. #5
    Tech Guru DJAdeSands's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Lisburn, Northern Ireland
    Posts
    538

    Default

    Depends on experience. This would be considered quite an advanced trick as far as mixing is concerned, and depending on the tracks, there may be different ways to do this. The loop is handy, mix into a loop, then reduce/increase the pitch of the loop, play the crowd with it, when you get it to the pitch you want, loop out to 1st verse/hook.
    Practice is good too. And then practice more, and when yer done, practice again.
    Denon DJ/MC6000KMK2/Launchpad S/LaunchcontrolXL/Traktor Pro 2/Bringin it since 96.

  6. #6
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sunny Scotland
    Posts
    187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by souldancer View Post

    Or trick your software when a song is actually 75 bpm reanalyze the bpm with traktor for example with the 78 - 155 bpm range now it will double your speed to 150 and you can mix it easy with a faster song.
    Or you could just use the /2 and x2 buttons in the grid section

  7. #7
    Tech Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    893

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DJAdeSands View Post
    Depends on experience. This would be considered quite an advanced trick as far as mixing is concerned, and depending on the tracks, there may be different ways to do this. The loop is handy, mix into a loop, then reduce/increase the pitch of the loop, play the crowd with it, when you get it to the pitch you want, loop out to 1st verse/hook.
    Practice is good too. And then practice more, and when yer done, practice again.
    This. Provided the tempo is within 4% or so, this is my go to technique. It can be tricky, but it is remarkably effective. Any tempo changes made after the mix are best done quickly - over 16 beats or less.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

  8. #8
    Tech Mentor Stephen Nawlins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Basel, Switzerland
    Posts
    211

    Default

    Seriouly...I must laugh when I read all the Posts and comments about Beatmatching and Sync-Buttons.
    99% of the crowd not even got it when you beatmatch, you get them with the Track-Selection not with beatmatching.
    To be honnest mostly we beatmatch and make proper mixes for yourself 'cause it is more than orgasmic when we made a perfect transition between an AC/DC Song and the newest #1 House Track... The most we can expect from some People in the crowd is that they positively minded think "Wow this guy is crazy mixing those different Music Styles" but what it means and which skills are behind, is something they haven't a clue.
    I allready had "Lazy-Gigs" where I thought "Tonight no mixing just playing 1 song after the other like DJs did back in the 60's/70's" Believe me or not, the athmosphere and the crowd were not worse than when I do a hell of a work mixing like crazy.

  9. #9
    Tech Guru DJAdeSands's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Lisburn, Northern Ireland
    Posts
    538

    Default

    Of course a lot of time, I don't mix between genres. OP just wanted to know 'how to do it' not 'what to do when I change genres'
    Denon DJ/MC6000KMK2/Launchpad S/LaunchcontrolXL/Traktor Pro 2/Bringin it since 96.

  10. #10

    Default

    Thanks for the info, helpful to myself as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •