Rane MP2014 2-channel Rotary Mixer - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    really love the look of this thing but i don't think it's worth the street price. might as well just get a 2015 at that point (which is also overpriced but still a better deal).
    If ya need the extra channels and submix routing, and don't mind the extra weight/space of the MP2015, an extra $900 for it over MP2014 is money worth spent.

Regarding your opinion of "overpriced"; Outta curiosity, what other mixer is currently available on the market that does everything the MP2014 does for under $2K? (much less has build and sound quality of a Rane). I'm not aware of any, but sure would like to learn if they exist.

PS: If interested in an MP2015, just posted a couple in the Buy/Sell section of this forum.
    Last edited by [O/][iii][O/]; 04-27-2016 at 12:59 PM.

The rane may not have direct competition but here's my reasoning of why it's overpriced-

There are boutique rotary mixers out there that are more expensive (e&s, condesa) but I can understand that pricing since it's all discrete analog circuitry and they are small manufacturers pretty much building to order that don't have the economy of scale that rane does with their production.

Ignoring any analog vs digital debate there's no denying the digital is cheaper to produce. There's no discrete circuitry for every filter, eq, etc it's just the control interface and the dsp circuitry which brings costs way down. Sure the rane mixers use high quality pots, knobs, case, etc. but the component count is much lower and less complicated than an analog mixer.

I just bought a new 24 channel Midas f24 console the other day with full parametric EQs and 24 discrete analog channels with a built in 24 channel firewire interface for less than the cost of a 2 channel rane MP2014 Dj mixer.

yeah it's bit apples and oranges, but they're both mixers and if a legendary company like Midas can sell this for less than a fancy 2 channel digital DJ mixer yeah I'd say the MP2014 is overpriced.

Tech Mentor

Understood. Thanks for the opinion.

Here's why I think the MP2014 is a steal for under $2K; The cost of a quality outboard master isolator and a dual-USB soundcard is ~$2K alone (not including a mixer). Not to mention the simplified, ease-of-use having it all in a single compact chassis. There's also the MP2014's third channel, selectable/sweepable filters, parametric iso, legendary customer service/support, etc. to consider.

Comparing a production digital unit to a hand-made analog boutique one is also apples/oranges. Currently looking at a custom Condesa Lucia for certain gig scenarios which is ~$2.5K (2-channel unit), and by the time an SL4 is added I'll be ~$3.5K (approaching double that of MP2014)

Also keep in mind the Midas has tons of competition which effects the price, and I imagine their economies of scale are quite a bit different than those found in high-end DJ market.
    Last edited by [O/][iii][O/]; 04-27-2016 at 01:44 PM.

Yeah don't get me wrong it's seriously nice.

I guess after just taking a long break from djing for several years and getting involved with production related hardware I find it harder to justify dropping serious money on a DJ mixer now that I'm coming back to it a little.

Still after looking at other rotary mixer options the 14/15 seem nicest to me. I was curious and went back through my emails to see how much I dropped on a 4D and DB4 years ago and I'm not really sure what I was thinking then but I guess it's not that far off these ranes.

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Still after looking at other rotary mixer options the 14/15 seem nicest to me. I was curious and went back through my emails to see how much I dropped on a 4D and DB4 years ago and I'm not really sure what I was thinking then but I guess it's not that far off these ranes.
    To be frank, every one of those mixers is overpriced. I love the DB4 but it should really have been priced in the $1200-1400 range. I blame Rane for starting this nonsense with the TTM57, which was over double the price of the TTM56 even though it all it added to the product was a sound card and a few buttons (that are useless if you don't use serato). Denon's DN-X1700 and Ecler's Evo 5 were both in the same class as the DB4 and they both retailed for just around 1000. The DB4 was over double that (with MSRP at 2800 but I doubt anyone actually paid that much) and I think the 4D was over 2000 as well. So yeah I agree that the Rane rotaries are overpriced, especially given what you can get in terms of pro gear for that kind of money.

But it's a lot to do with what the market will bear (and of course, they have to look at how many units they can actually sell). I spent 2000 on a DB4 and so did you, and others as well; I presume A+H sold about the number of those mixers that they wanted to (and these are basically boutique products). With recent announcements from Vestax, Funktion One, and soon A+H's "Play Differently", we're going to be looking at double again those prices for top shelf DJ mixers -- the real question in the coming years is going to be will you pay $4000 for a mixer? (At that point you might as well grab a couple of those new Technics as well lol).

Personally I'm looking forward to blowing a few hundred to play around with the Behringer playdifferently ripoff when it comes out But unless Rane adds a crossfader I probably won't be inclined to spend that much on a DJ mixer again....
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Quote Originally Posted by djproben
    Personally I'm looking forward to blowing a few hundred to play around with the Behringer playdifferently ripoff when it comes out
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    I blame Rane for starting this nonsense with the TTM57...
    Really? Not sure if you are aware or not, but Rane hardly started the expensive, high-quality mixer market. For example, ever hear of Bozak or Urei? The 1620 alone was ~$1,100 in 1981 which equates to ~$2,900 in 2016 dollars. BTW, they still hold equivalent or even greater value to this day as well and are very sought after by those in the know.

...which was over double the price of the TTM56 even though it all it added to the product was a sound card and a few buttons (that are useless if you don't use serato).
    There's much more than meets the untrained eye when it comes to the differences between the 56 and 57. It's not just simply a "sound card and a few buttons"

Regarding "that are useless if you don't use serato" - Perhaps that's because the 57 is specifically designed for use WITH Serato. Again, there's a lot more going on with the 57.

Rane rotaries are overpriced, especially given what you can get in terms of pro gear for that kind of money.
    Name another high-quality rotary mixer that offers nearly what the Rane ones do at their price or less.

Personally I'm looking forward to blowing a few hundred to play around with the Behringer playdifferently ripoff when it comes out
    This illustrates perfectly why companies like Hyundai and Mercedes-Benz both exist. There are target markets for both, and there are those who understand and appreciate the vast differences between the two offerings and more than willing to pay for those differences. Some get it, some don't. No biggie.

But unless Rane adds a crossfader I probably won't be inclined to spend that much on a DJ mixer again....
    The overwhelming amount of HQ rotary users have absolutely zero need or desire for crossfaders. Not saying you'll never see one with a crossfader, but extremely rare because there's hardly a a demand for them. The style of mixing rotary users typically practice doesn't require a crossfader. It just gets in the way and takes up valuable real estate.
    Last edited by [O/][iii][O/]; 04-29-2016 at 01:33 PM.

Yeah you're right - I hadn't thought about the Ureis and Bozaks, but they were such a niche market and were I think long gone by the time the TTM57 came out. If you only expect to manufacture a few thousand units the price is going up of course. Seems they're expecting to sell a lot more of these Rane rotaries but who knows.

As for the TTM 56/57, what other differences are there? EQ kill buttons are pretty cool, especially with those little skulls, but hardly worth an extra $800. For the price difference between the 56 and 57 I could have bought a Rane Empath at the time. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Rane mixers - I've owned both the 56 and 57, and would love to own the 2015 (or an empath for that matter). I just think that even the Mercedes Benz DJ mixer prices shouldn't cost as much as an actual Benz.

Not that any of this matters -- If people are willing to pay $4000+ for a mixer, there will be $4000+ mixers, no matter what I think about it. And I spent over $2000 on the DB4 so who's to say I won't do it again with one of these Ranes (hell I could even add one of those portable crossfaders for $65 if I really care to lol). Or maybe that Vestax when it comes out; I do love me some real VU meters with actual needles....
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Tech Mentor

Very good points. People always forget to factor inflation into what something cost in the past.
    It is annoying not having a cross fader, but as mentioned, the rotary mixers are designed for a style that does not require a cross fader. I have a Z2 as a backup in case I plan on playing a gig on turntables and want to scratch a bit.

Either way, the Ranes are expensive, but you get what you pay for. Build quality, sound, features... I can say the 2015 hands down it is the best mixer I ever played on (for how I like to play...important to note that!).
    The other key is if you are a working DJ that gigs often, any gear will pay for itself over time. It's just part of the cost of doing business.

Tech Wizard

Just got this awesome mixer :-)

But MIX I Volume turns wrong by 1mm and feels more like turning an eclipse than a round experience. I think maybe its just the cap that is pressed on wrong and not a bend pin, but I am not sure.
    Can I some how pull cap off my self and have a look without damnage anything ?
    Or should I contact Rane or shop to get a new cap or should I return it ?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345