More laptop madness
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default More laptop madness

Ok, Im not trying to rehash the Mac Vs PC, but ive narrowed down 2 units, one of which Ill be buying. Just need some feedback on which would be the more practical solution. Ill be using the laptop strictly for music work and djing; no internets. I plan to use it with a pr of scs3ds, Ecler Nuo 4 (w/ midid strip), audio interface (tbd) usb hub, an external hd, or maybe a drobo for the future; internal drive will be just for music editing software, traktor, and maybe MIXX software.

Apple 17" Macbook Pro Notebook
    2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile
    4GB DDR2 (dont know if this is the max)
    Mac OS X v10.5
    1-FireWire 400
    1-FireWire 800
    3-USB 2.0 ports
    1-ExpressCard/34 slot

HP 15" EliteBook Notebook
    Intel Centrino 2 vPro Core 2 Duo T9400 2.53GHz
    4GB DDR2 SDRAM; max 8GB
    Windows Vista Business w/ downgrade media kit to XP Professional
    4- 4-pin Type A USB 2.0 ports
    1- FireWire 400
    1- eSATA port
    1- ExpressCard/54 slot

Removing operating system issues from the comparo, just based on the specs, which would you reccomend?
    Last edited by usdm; 11-23-2009 at 01:05 AM. Reason: im new to this and I need some help.

Tech Mentor

If you've got the money to burn, I would say go with a MacBook pro, unless you're willing to make vista work correctly (which is a pain) or just upgrade to windows 7. I've also heard nothing but bad things about HP's laptops, lately, so that could be something to consider. ThinkPads, though, are helluh sturdy and give you great customer service if you have problems. I would strongly recommend one with Windows 7 installed on it.

tl;dr: if you're rich, get the mac. otherwise, look at a thinkpad with windows 7 because LOL HP SUX, AMIRITE?
    I'm not good at things, but I like to pretend I am.
    :Project-Segfault:

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by usdm View Post
    4GB DDR2 (dont know if this is the max)
    If it's the unibody you can go up to 8Gb. But if you say it's ddr2 I suspect you're buying a refurbished machine, or second hand.

IMO 17'' for a laptop is too big... I had a 17'' and was a pain. Bags are bigger and more expensive, plus it's heavier. 15'' is perfect. For the price difference buy an external monitor for working at home...

my .02

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I've never seen someone who had a solidly good experience with an HP laptop.

But 4 USB ports and an eSATA can go a long way toward happiness.

I have a 17" laptop and it can be a pain in the ass, but at the same time it is SO nice to be able to see everything I am doing, instead of having to flip windows.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by pier View Post
    If it's the unibody you can go up to 8Gb. But if you say it's ddr2 I suspect you're buying a refurbished machine, or second hand.

IMO 17'' for a laptop is too big... I had a 17'' and was a pain. Bags are bigger and more expensive, plus it's heavier. 15'' is perfect. For the price difference buy an external monitor for working at home...

my .02
    Ok I just checked again on another sight and 4gb is the max. Is 4gb not enough IYHO?
    Last edited by usdm; 11-23-2009 at 11:54 AM.

Tech Mentor

I have a 17inch HP with windows 7, 4 usb ports, 2 eSATA ports, firewire 800 2.2 dual core and it runs like a beast, ran like shit with vista though.
    Silly DJ loops are for kids!

An HP laptop can be great... if you get the right model. Honestly, out of those two choices, I'd go with the macbook. (and I'm our resident PC laptop whore.)
    Monika.mhz - I do things. Also stuff.
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!
    Articles: Streamline Your Laptop for Djs(Windows)

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by usdm View Post
    Ok I just checked again on another sight and 4gb is the max. Is 4gb not enough IYHO?
    I have 4Gb, it's more than enough for djing.

If you do video editing there's never enough ram though...

Quote Originally Posted by pier View Post
    If you do video editing there's never enough ram though...
    haha! Ain't that true? I've got 8G of ram right now and sometimes I still moan about not having enough.
    Monika.mhz - I do things. Also stuff.
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!
    Articles: Streamline Your Laptop for Djs(Windows)

Don't get a 17". I have a love hate relationship with mine. If there is the space in the booth and I can get it set up just right, I love the extra monitor space. But sometimes its a little big for the booth. Also its hard to find bags for and when you do its always going to be a pain in your back. I'm actually hoping to at some point next year move down to a 13 or 14 inch laptop.
    2 x Techinics 1200 mkIIs, SL1, Pioneer DJM-500, Novation Dicer, Stanton 680 carts, Acer Aspire 1410 11" Netbook
    ----------------------------------------------------

http://twitter.com/djlokifl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast