Flying with DJ equipment, who's done it from the UK?
    DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Default Flying with DJ equipment, who's done it from the UK?

So UK DJs... who has flown, where too, what did you take, who did you fly with and what preparation did you do regarding taking electronics on a flight (security etc).

If I get the gig I'm undecided whether to take an S4MK2 in a flight case (hold luggage) or take a DJM-T1 and 2 X1s (hand luggage)... I want to avoid any weird confrontations with security.
    It's a wedding booking in Paphos and I'm waiting to hear what gear they have out there. I'm hoping they will have some Technics and a mixer but I'm conscious to keep the hire costs down for the bride & groom so my S4 would help with that.

I've checked and there's not much info (Easy Jet is most likely) so I'm gonna call and see if I can get some advice.

Any experiences guys?

I've flown to and from the UK with my setups twice. one with a Stanton SCS3 and another time with a pioneer DDJ S2. Never had any problem with them but i have flight cases (metal, lockable) for my equipment.

I've flown to India and back from the US and had no problems carrying my DJ controller with me as hand luggage. The only advice I could say is to check the requirements for the suggest Flight service to see if your controller's hard case fits the size requirements, other than that security shouldn't be a problem nor should the actual carrying of your equipment. Safe Travels!

Mate, I flew from the UK to Ibiza and back with Ryanair (out) and Monarch (return). Took an S4 in my Gator bag with a 17inch laptop. Came in at just under 10kgs with headphones, cables etc. Also took a pair of powered 5inch speakers but I was travelling in a group so 2 of them had one each in a carry on suitcase. The only "issue" we had was they had to be tested for explosives which involved us being taken to oneside whilst they ran a testing swab over the S4 and ran it through their machine. Took an extra 10 minutes to clear check in so no biggie.

6 months ago I revisited the UK and travelled to Europe with an X1, MacBook and Audio 2 along with various cables, headphones etc. Again the equipment was pulled to oneside after the x-ray and they did the same swab test. This time they also had me describe the entire contents of my bag to one of the security guys but nothing too serious. All of this was carried out to oneside of the queue. we weren't taken to a separate room or anything like that.

Having seen baggage handlers in Europe I really would try to have any equipment carried with you as hand luggage. I personally wouldn't trust them with handling even a roadcase because they literally throw the luggage onto the baggage carriers and conveyor belts. I also think a roadcase stands out as containing expensive items and would worry about it getting 'lost' between being removed from the plane and arriving on the luggage conveyor belt.
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by kooper1980 View Post

Having seen baggage handlers in Europe I really would try to have any equipment carried with you as hand luggage. I personally wouldn't trust them with handling even a roadcase because they literally throw the luggage onto the baggage carriers and conveyor belts. I also think a roadcase stands out as containing expensive items and would worry about it getting 'lost' between being removed from the plane and arriving on the luggage conveyor belt.
    Here's an idea.

If you have to check in a flightcase as luggage, put the flightcase inside a cheap standard suitcase.

It will weigh a bit more, so may cost more to check in. ....but it won't look so "stealable" to the baggage guys. (My partner is ex cabin crew, & i've heard horror stories about airport staff in all departments).
    Cheers

IAN WILLIAMS

Tech Convert

Hey mate,

I've flown through Heathrow and security with the Hercules RMX in my hand luggage. I went through security fine, but was stopped at the gate (no sleeve, had to take a bus to the plane) by 2 security officers conducting "RANDOM SEARCH" LOL .. they opened my bag, saw the RMX, one of the guy laughingly said "is that a bomb" .. which was kinda shocking but they laughed and let me go.. I've had more rigorous checks in Germany and other airports.

I always suggest placing any "complicated" equipment in your checked luggage, as to not arouse the suspicion of security agents who have no idea what it is and thus delaying you. Laptop of course always keep on your person, as well as any external hdds, usbs.. to make sure that nothing happens to them. If worse comes to worse and your luggage is lost or delayed, at least you`ll have all your music with you and be able to make things work on the fly.
    cheers

Not 100% sure but without a case you might be able to squeeze an S4 in a carry on bag / suitcase. But it will only work with certain suitcases. Another idea would be to take it with you as carry on without any kind of case (maybe tape a decksaver on it) pretty sure you would be allowed to go on board. Maybe it's worth flying with a full service carrier (like BA, Lufthansa, etc) they are usually way less strict with carry on size.

I've flown easyjet with my x1 + z1 combo (best modular setup) + cables. I always had to do the swap test for explosives. Other than that no problems.

Ive flown from the Heathrow to Roma, Barcelona, Rotterdam, and S. Petersburg with vinyl and controllers. Never had an issue.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Cheers everyone.

So here's an update. We got the the gig - private villa wedding in Cyprus.
    After talking to someone who clearly could not grasp what I was talking about (he thought I was bringing a PA system) I finally got the approval from EasyJet that I can take my gear on the plane. S4MK2, laptop and various bits in my Magma Backpack...my wife is taking another backpack with an X1, Audio 6 and all the cables I need.

Nothing apart from clothes are going in the hold luggage. Manchester Airport security advised that I don't put anything that may raise suspicion in the hold baggage as it just might get held back... As a few of you guys have said it's better to have everything ready for inspection and then there's no surprises.

You would think this would be easy and they would have measures in place for DJ gear but they don't. You can buy a fucking seat for a cello and check it in under the Mr Cello...how many cello players fly around compared to DJs.

Anyhow... it's all go. 4 days in Cyprus

Dunno when you're there but I'll be there in August if you fancy a few pale ale's
    SC | MC